Motor Test Box

alexbeatle

Hello, folks.
I'm building a portable (suitcase style) test box for motors. Test 2 motors at a time. All motors will be the same - 3ph 480VAC 2HP.
The box may be used outdoors -> NEMA 4x enclosure.

Features:
  • Motor Fwd\Rev latched (not hold-to-run)
  • Motor Stop
  • Speed control (optional)
  • Soft start\stop feature (preferred)
  • E-Stop
  • 24VDC Solenoid fire\release
  • 24VDC Some status lights

Debating whether to use contactor logic or VFDs for the motors.

If I go with the VFD route the biggest heat sources will be the VFDs. Need 2x VFDs in the box - settling on PF525 25B-D4P0N104. This will simplify the wiring, components' list and maintenance.

However, my concern is with the airflow in the NEMA 4x enclosure.

I found these NEMA 4X vents, but have never used them to know whether they work well.
https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/p/Allied-Moulded-Amvent4Xlg-Encl-Nema-4X-Vent-Large/6508713
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TKEy3o-RHY

Please advise.

Thank you.

Have you calculated the weight of this thing? Better have a strong handle or two on it…… or put it on a two wheeled cart.

How long do you plan on running the motors, if not too long then heat build up in a test box may not be an issue, if it is mount the drives on a heatsink that has the cooling fins on the outside with some cooling fans if needed.

Last edited:
How long do you plan on running the motors, if not too long then heat build up in a test box may not be an issue, if it is mount the drives on a heatsink that has the cooling fins on the outside with some cooling fans if needed.

Maybe an hour each. It will be portable - find could get damaged.

Make sure every motor you test will be inverter rated.

At that size, just buy a pair of Nema 4/4X VFDs and mount them to a plate. The heat won't be an issue at that point.

Make a 480 cable for each and you are all set.

These look big.... (attached)
Anybody knows if they're simply IP20 drives in the IP66 enclosure with the mounting clearances taken in mind or they actually have different cooling design?

abb drives.png

They are special design IP20 drives in an IP66 enclosure, and with heat fins on the back. The standard drives have fins and cooling fans on the inside that pull air through the drive. The IP66 drive is a lot bigger than just a standard drive. I only suggested it because you were concerned about heat loss when mounting drives inside an IP66/Nema 4 enclosure.