1756-RIO as adapter...Can you read/write integers?

Ugsomania

So I'm looking at replacing some obsolete Prosoft boxes that currently convert DH+ to Ethernet.

I have a logix chassis that already has a 1756-RIO card in adapter mode to pass IO back and forth between the logix processor and the PLC5.

What I would like to do is connect the panelview directly to the machine ethernet network and bring the data from the PLC5 into the logix processor and send it out to the panelview, eliminating the need for the prosoft box.

Is this something I am able to do with a RIO card? Or am I limited to I/O?

Thanks.

Where is the PanelView in the system? How does it talk, and to which PLC?

At my last location, we had systems with 1756-RIO modules connecting a ControlLogix to a PLC5 while the PanelView was on Ethernet.

Is it a DH+ PanelView? If so, I'm sure you know that those are long obsolete as well...

That's basically where we want to go.

Currently...

PLC5 talks to PV through prosoft gateway. DH+ to Ethernet.

Where we want to go...

PLC5 sends data PV requires to Logix processor with 1756-RIO card set to adapter mode handling data transfer.

Logix (which is on machine ethernet network) with then send this data to the PV.

The scope of this work is to eliminate the obsolete prosoft box.

Sorry I should mention the DH+ is on the PLC5 side. The prosoft box was required to interface the PV+ 7 to the controller via ethernet.

So...

Panelview (ethernet) -> Prosoft box (Ethernet to DH+) -> PLC5

You can to access a PLC-5 on a DH+ network via ethernet if you have a 1756-ENBT(or better) and 1756-DHRIO card in a 1756 rack. RSLinx Enterprise can be configured for this setup for a Panelview+.

You can to access a PLC-5 on a DH+ network via ethernet if you have a 1756-ENBT(or better) and 1756-DHRIO card in a 1756 rack. RSLinx Enterprise can be configured for this setup for a Panelview+.

I may be wrong but I don't think RSLinx Enterprise will go across the DHRIO card via Ethernet. You can do this in Design mode with RSLinx Classic as added server but Runtime using Enterprise will not cross the backplane. This is why prosoft came out with the ANX2 module (which i'm assuming the OP is using)

OP- If you get a CLX and a DHRIO card you can message the PLC 5 to get data that is needed via DHRIO(DH+) and then go from CLX to the Panelview via ethernet.

JMeadows, that's exactly what I was thinking about.

RSLinx Enterprise -> Ethernet -> DHRIO -> DH+ -> PLC5

While RSLinx Classic can do that, it wasn't supported by RSLinx Enterprise back in 2003, and I don't know if it's become a supported function with modern FactoryTalk Linx and the PV+7.

The method that our new member Ugsomania suggests should work: the PLC-5 will use block transfers to the 1756-RIO (the QTS-based RIO, not a classic Rockwell DHRIO) that end up in an Array tag in the ControlLogix, and the PanelView Plus just reads the data from there over its ordinary EtherNet/IP driver.

Interesting....OP wrote (and so did I) 1756-RIO, but my brain conflated that with the 1756-DHRIO that we were using and which was fairly straightforward to set up. ProposalWorks shows the -RIO as Active while the -DHRIO is active mature. Both list for over $3500, though. I remember having a lot of trouble getting a -DHRIO back then.

Ken: Can a MSG instruction in the ControlLogix reach through the -RIO to the PLC5? I'm guessing not since you said to use Block Transfers in the PLC5. I have a reasonable amount of experience with DH+ but almost none setting up RIO.

JMeadows, that's exactly what I was thinking about.

RSLinx Enterprise -> Ethernet -> DHRIO -> DH+ -> PLC5

While RSLinx Classic can do that, it wasn't supported by RSLinx Enterprise back in 2003, and I don't know if it's become a supported function with modern FactoryTalk Linx and the PV+7.
I know this is a dated thread, but i just wanted to follow up for anyone in the future.

Just tested with a 2711PC-T6C20D8 (AKA PanelviewPlus 6 Compact 600) flashed to firmware version 12. It has no issues talking to a PLC-5 bridged via a 1756-ENBT and 1756-DHRIO in a controllogix Rack.

Thanks very much for that follow-up detail !

That's a feature that would have been pretty useful 20 years ago, but better late than never !

I have gotten this to work in a roundabout method using RSLinx Gateway.
As mentioned, it's not officially supported.

I set up a PC with RSLinx Gateway and PVP7+ networked to a dumb switch with it. On the gateway I browsed the DHRIO card and selected the DH+ SLC 5/04 and created a topic name.

I set up the PVP to use RSLinx Classic as a server with a topic name matching with the Gateway PC.

All comms is handled by topic sharing.

It doesn't work 100% of the time, as in the connection will stall out once in a while and displays sometimes don't update unless you navigate away and back to the screen.

Very rudimentary. It does work, but it's not reliable and I wouldn't use it for anything that controls a process. In this case it was for a HMI that was only for listing fault codes and troubleshooting.