Codesys - Information/Learning materials.

Rob...

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've recently inherited a project from one of our sister companies. We have a range of machines that all use various versions of Codesys.

I'm primarily use Siemens/Rockewell, I've been clunking around the past week with Codesys, but if anyone has any good reference material. Learning guides etc...

The commands and structure looks very similar to Siemens, I just need to learn their UI.

Willing to pay if someone recommends good books.

I've recently inherited a project from one of our sister companies. We have a range of machines that all use various versions of Codesys.

I'm primarily use Siemens/Rockewell, I've been clunking around the past week with Codesys, but if anyone has any good reference material. Learning guides etc...

The commands and structure looks very similar to Siemens, I just need to learn their UI.

Willing to pay if someone recommends good books.

There are quite a few resources which I will list below but the one I've been wanting to buy is the book by this brilliant guy, Gary Pratt who's quite the educator and has a great voice too (no I'm not gay....not that there's anything wrong with that). I think he has some course offerings also through CodeSys and some youtube stuff.

So I personally learn CodeSys via working and learning TwinCat and working with EcoStruxure Machine Expert; while I am aware that there will be some differences.

Alltwincat is brilliant in how he starts from the very basics but maybe too boring for some. I suggest you look at it anyways.

Electrical Automation Hands On is very good, detailed and has tons of topics. He has a playlist specifically for Beckhoff TwinCat but if you look under the playlist HMI you will also find Beckhoff stuff.

CodeSys has youtube channel with a few good webinars.

Then start browsing any hardware that uses CodeSys, Wago and Beijer have upcoming webinars. I think Beijer's is tomorrow and I think Wago is on the 20th. I will confirm later.

PLCopen has a guideline on oop programming with a link to a project that I have been planning on digging into for months but have yet to do so.

And of course Steffen Henneken blog is a must read and has s I think a three part series on oop that is interesting.

Here's a test question, why does Siemens refer to its "Static" variable as Var when you view the declaration in textual display.

Edit: Very good resources that you will need have by your side *all the time* are CodeSys online help, TwinCat's online help and ExoStruxure manual, and online help. ( I like their manual so I can highlight stuff and make notes). And again be very cognizant of the difference from one brand to the next.

I also forot Bedrock Automation which has good yourube material and no surprise all by Gary Pratt.

Last edited:
Another good CodeSys youtube channel , his tutorials are again *not* about interface but subjects that one need to know to understand how a project maybe structured and if one intends to develop programs.

I am using this thread for all CodeSys related information.

This was posted by Gary Pratt and it is well worth watching:
"If you are interested in making your plant or equipment control objects totally universal and reusable, you will want to tune into my Tech Talk at 12:00 EST on Friday this week. It is sure to make you an expert on Object Oriented I/O."

https://lnkd.in/eCxTrK5s

It is the one at the very bottom of the page for Friday October 21. Registration is free.