S7-300 Remote Support

ds7891

Customer bought a machine that has an S7-300 series process connected to 1 remote rack and 1 VFD, all over Profibus. MPI port is tied to remote mounted HMI.

They want the machine tied to their network for SCADA and remote support. What's everyone using these days to connect a PB network into a local LAN?

Have a look at e Won products for profibus connectivity. Alternatively if its only really the plc you're really bothered about (sometimes the case) you can get a communication processor to suit from siemens like the CP343-1

I haven't been online with this machine yet. And never been online with a Profibus PLC before.

Will Step7 have a problem using ProfiNet to connect to S7-300 PLC when it's PB only?

I haven't been online with this machine yet. And never been online with a Profibus PLC before.

Will Step7 have a problem using ProfiNet to connect to S7-300 PLC when it's PB only?

There is a possibility the PLC may use TIA Portal.

From local LAN ethernet to MPI or Profibus:
https://www.deltalogic.de/products/s7-adapters/accon-netlink-pro-compact

E won is for when you need an all-in-one solution to provide remote support over the intenet.

It seems this product is sold under a number of brands. In these days of chip shortages, it may be good to have alternative sources, so I just show another one below:
https://www.helmholz.de/de/produkte/feldbus-anwendungen/profibus/gateways/netlink-pro

Technically it is Ethernet and not Profinet.
The whole purpose of this adapter is to be able to go online via Ethernet on S7 PLCs that do not have an ethernet port.
The adapter can also be used for HMI and OPC connections for example, and simultaneously while being online with STEP7.
You will get a special driver for the adapter that integrates into STEP7.
There are some extra steps when setting up the connection, but then it works very reliably and quite performant.