upload program of PLC-5/30 using RS232 cable ?

The PLC5 will connect with a standard serial cable and a standard DB-9 to DB25 adapter - not certain but it may also need a null modem adapter or a null modem cable, again both standard.

Then you will need RSLinx to communicate and RSLogix5 (NOT RSLogix500 or 5000) to upload/download/edit.

Those won't be needed if they have the other software packages that could support PLC5 programming. I recall using 6200, UpDoc and TopDoc. I see SoftPLC:TopDoc is still around.

I started on the 6200 - but that was only for PLC2's, when the shop I was working at got their first PLC5 they had to buy RSLogix5.

I've never used UpDoc or TopDoc.

Just to clarify.
I started on the 6200 - but that was only for PLC2's, when the shop I was working at got their first PLC5 they had to buy RSLogix5.
6200 also existed for PLC5. I started on 6200 with PLC5.

There are no comments or symbols stored in the PLC5 memory, so you cannot upload these.
Working on a program with no comments or symbols is an uphill battle.
If you can find a backup op the original program (6200-PLC5, AI-PLC5, TopDoc, or RSLogix 5), then that will be much better.

Also, regarding opload from the PLC via Ch0 serial port. The port can be configured for RS232, RS422, RS485. You need to have it set to RS232 if you want to connect it to a standard PC serial port.
To change the mode of Ch0 you have to power down and remove the CPU from the rack. The dip switch contacts 1-10 on SW2 must be set to ON-ON-ON-off-off-ON-ON-off-ON-off for RS232.

We're getting a bit off into the weeds but I've got a reminder about serial ports in general that also applies to the PLC-5 Channel 0 port.

Your PC and the PLC are both "DTE" type devices, so generally you need a "null modem" cable to connect one to the other directly. Tx on one connector is connected to Rx on the other, and vice-versa. The Data Common pin is connected straight across.

For ordinary PLC upload/download applications, only those three pins (Rx, Tx, Signal Ground) are necessary. No RTS/CTS or DSR/DTR or loopback jumpers are needed.

On a DB9 <-> DB9 cable, most of us have the pins memorized. A null modem cable is:

Rx(2) - Tx(3)
Tx(3) - Rx(2)
Sg(5) - Sg(5)

But the PLC-5 Channel 0 port is a DB25 port, and the standard DTE pinout for a DB25 port is the reverse of a DB9 port on Pins 2 and 3. And Signal Ground on a DB25 port is Pin 7, not Pin 5.

So a "null modem" cable like the 1784-CP10 does not "swap pins" on the relevant conductors.

A PLCTalk thread with the appropriate pinout diagrams, from back-in-the-day:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=26918