Omron PLC and HMI

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a friend with an older packing machine, never ever used Omron before

Its has the following

CQM1H-CPU21 Plc

NT21-ST121-E HMI

Whats the correct software for both of these old units, presume we are looking at XP or NT here

And what leads do I require

Also can these be locked up (password) protected to i cannot either view the logic or upload a copy ?

All help appreciated......

Also can these be locked up (password) protected to i cannot either view the logic or upload a copy ?

Unfortunately the older Omron PLCs like the CQM1H did not support the advanced protection. If it is UM protected, you will not be able to upload the current program or view the logic. Omron can unlock it but you will need to provide proof of ownership.

The NT however does not have a protection function. Screens may be password protected by the user program but you will be able to upload the program.

Unfortunately the older Omron PLCs like the CQM1H did not support the advanced protection. If it is UM protected, you will not be able to upload the current program or view the logic. Omron can unlock it but you will need to provide proof of ownership.

The NT however does not have a protection function. Screens may be password protected by the user program but you will be able to upload the program.

Thanks - What do you mean by UM protected ?

And Thanks @gtsuport

It's been years since I messed with these. It was the XP days and a bit into Windows 7. CX Programmer is the PLC software that is part of the CX One bundle. NT Series Support Tool is not installed with the initial CX One install. The installer is found in a utility folder of the CX One disc.

I used the Windows version of NTST on that disc for NT30 & NT31 HMIs. I used a DOS version of NTST that ran fine in XP for the NT21 models. We had an installer for that which might not have been on the CX One disc. Maybe the Windows version worked for NT21 and maybe the reason we still used the DOS version for these was that's how the projects were saved. Maybe it doesn't support NT21. Maybe it was just habit that I didn't question.

At that time, we only did backup and restore for hardware replacement. I never did any development until later after the NT21 were all updated to NT30/31.

UM... That reminds me. Memory is backed up separately from the PLC code. DM and maybe EM held some recipe values for different programs. I would open and save all memory files, even timers that I don't think mattered to save. When saving, you might be prompted to save only the visible data or the entire data file. I expect you'll want to save the entire file.

I never dealt with anything locked, so I don't know about protection.

Last edited:
UM... That reminds me. Memory is backed up separately from the PLC code. DM and maybe EM held some recipe values for different programs. I would open and save all memory files, even timers that I don't think mattered to save. When saving, you might be prompted to save only the visible data or the entire data file. I expect you'll want to save the entire file.

I never dealt with anything locked, so I don't know about protection.

You are correct. However, Omron's terminology has changed a bit through the years. UM Protected means you will not be able to upload or view the ladder diagram from the PLC as well.

To 5618's point, you'll want to at least view Memory from the project tree then transfer the retained memory from the PLC. Retained memory in the CQM1H is AR, HR and DM.