Micro800 with RSLogix 500 ???

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I feel a bit ridiculous asking this because it seems totally unachievable and very hard to believe.

Our Rockwell distributor told us that AB is working on an upgrade to the Micro800 series that will allow it to be programmed with RSLogix 500. (Technically I didn't hear the words come out of his mouth; this was relayed to me by a coworker who met with him.)

Is there any truth to this whatsoever?

I find that very hard to believe. The Micro800 is so different, and RSLogix500 is being priced to motivate using other platforms.

It is most likely that there is a series of misunderstandings or exaggerations in this chain of stories.

It is theoretically possible to develop and implement the SLC/MicroLogix operating system to run on the Micro 800 hardware, which would scrap the entire ISaGRAF platform.

It is theoretically possible to adapt all of the Micro 800 operating system to be organized and addressed and visualized by the components of RSLogix 500, forking RSLogix behind the scenes into two independently supported and maintained products.

It is theoretically possible that Lynda Carter will realize that I am her one true love.

But what is far, far, far more likely is that there is a technical and marketing effort to retain MicroLogix users by improving look-and-feel of CCW and the usability of conversion tools.

RA has a history of underfunding these sorts of efforts and putting people with little PLC experience on the task, but there's always hope. Lynda, call me.

Last edited:
If they would move it to the 5000 or 500 platform, I would be way more likely to migrate to these. As it is, I pretty much refuse to even attempt to use them because I've heard almost nothing but bad things about both the hardware and software.

Using CCW is like playing with a Fisher-Price toy.

29738381770782.jpg

Both PID instructions are broken:I have documented issues with PID elsewhere; recently @OldChemEng and I have documented have been characterizing IPIDCONTROLLER, and although there are workarounds, the base behavior is non-intuitive at best. For example, the rate of integral action accumulation when the Auto input is True will be doubled when the Auto input is False.

Last edited:
If RA wants to improve CCW so it's both technically solid and easy to use, they should hire drbitboy and operaghost to manage the product.

If they would move it to the 5000 or 500 platform, I would be way more likely to migrate to these. As it is, I pretty much refuse to even attempt to use them because I've heard almost nothing but bad things about both the hardware and software.

There are some horror stories out there. Those that are opposed to it before they even try it. Iv used many many 820's and 850's with massive success. With the Developer Version of the software, there isn't much you cannot do. Using it and expecting it to be like Studio is where most folks get discouraged.

For smaller machine and process applications Ill grab a Micro850 over a SLC or Micrologix every day of the week. Sure Ill take a CLX for $$$$ but I for one like the Micro Line up when paired with an HMI of another brand. I do hate the PV800 and do not use CCW for HMI'S, EVER! That will make a person sick.

Boy I hope they change it over.... tired of hearing you guys ***** about them :)

PLC Pie Guy said:
Iv used many many 820's and 850's with massive success.

Same here, either we have just been really lucky or they are not that bad of a PLC.

There are some horror stories out there. Those that are opposed to it before they even try it. Iv used many many 820's and 850's with massive success. With the Developer Version of the software, there isn't much you cannot do. Using it and expecting it to be like Studio is where most folks get discouraged.

For smaller machine and process applications Ill grab a Micro850 over a SLC or Micrologix every day of the week. Sure Ill take a CLX for $$$$ but I for one like the Micro Line up when paired with an HMI of another brand. I do hate the PV800 and do not use CCW for HMI'S, EVER! That will make a person sick.

Sorry, I exaggerated a little bit when I said I've heard nothing but bad things, I've heard the hardware isn't too bad, but mostly horror stories about CCW.

Sorry, I exaggerated a little bit when I said I've heard nothing but bad things, I've heard the hardware isn't too bad, but mostly horror stories about CCW.

I think its like most everything else... people will complain 10 times before they say one good thing, its in our nature to complain and not give many complements

If you go out to eat and have a bad meal you are more likely to complain about the meal and maybe leave a bad review, then on the other hand if you have a good meal odds are you will say nothing and not leave a review.

It is most likely that there is a series of misunderstandings or exaggerations in this chain of stories.

It is theoretically possible to develop and implement the SLC/MicroLogix operating system to run on the Micro 800 hardware, which would scrap the entire ISaGRAF platform.

It is theoretically possible to adapt all of the Micro 800 operating system to be organized and addressed and visualized by the components of RSLogix 500, forking RSLogix behind the scenes into two independently supported and maintained products.

It is theoretically possible that Lynda Carter will realize that I am her one true love.

But what is far, far, far more likely is that there is a technical and marketing effort to retain MicroLogix users by improving look-and-feel of CCW and the usability of conversion tools.

RA has a history of underfunding these sorts of efforts and putting people with little PLC experience on the task, but there's always hope. Lynda, call me.

This is gold. I love this forum and I, too, have a not so secret crush on the real wonder woman.

I love the analogy of the fisher-price toy to CCW... It physically and visually feels like that to me.

But I know that seems to be just the first impression it gives people who have used other platforms too.

When I hear places like the r/PLC of reddit talk about RSlogix500, I hear nothing but horrible terrible things... "500 is a dinosaur and underpowered, so unintuitive" etc.... But to me that feels farther from the truth... maybe because I've ran into so many iterations of programs developed on rslogix 5 and 500 that have been doing complicated work for 20 years now.... and when ported to 5000 don't require any improvement in programming at all.

When I hear places like the r/PLC of reddit talk about RSlogix500, I hear nothing but horrible terrible things... "500 is a dinosaur and underpowered, so unintuitive" etc.... But to me that feels farther from the truth... maybe because I've ran into so many iterations of programs developed on rslogix 5 and 500 that have been doing complicated work for 20 years now.... and when ported to 5000 don't require any improvement in programming at all.

I personally love the 500 environment, but most of that is because I've worked with it enough to know (a lot of) the quirks. It's definitely a little dated, but there's not much you can't do with it if you know how, and it's decently user-friendly as well.