Supply Chain issues with Drives , PLC Components , Motors , etc.

Cydog

Good Morning ,

I took notice that we still have some incredible supply chain issues , with PLC
components, ABB , PowerFlex , WEG drives , etc. The only motor and drive manufacturer to have available stock , is a company called Worldwide . It seems to be too much of a China connection with the manufacturing of these.

Are many of you reluctant to use products manufactured in China at the moment ? I approached them about this in a meeting yesterday and they blame it on a lack of a stable work force in the U.S. . Do you all use WorldWide and do you like their products ?

ABB it seems will not take anymore orders . Rockwell has a terrible backlog of orders to fill . Do you see the supply chain getting any better soon ?

Thanks so much for your thoughts in advance .

Yeah things are pretty hectic at the moment with getting parts. I've been waiting 4 months for an IP21 7.5kW drive. Delivery date just keeps getting pushed back.

A lot of stuff is partially made in China these days anyways, even if it's assembled in your own home country. Pull apart any piece of gear and i bet you'll find stuff inside with a made in China sticker.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

...and they blame it on a lack of a stable work force in the U.S. . .

If you were talking about local fast foods or some products in your grocery store being out of stock I would agree but the US work force makes or has a hand in very few of these components, look at 99% of the products we use in our industry and they do not have "Made in USA" on them. Its a supply chain issue and a raw product issue... soon in North America its going to be a transportation (trucking issue) just to make things worse

Yes I see them getting better the 1st quarter of next year is when it will start to recover, but I think it will be the end of 2023 before it gets back to normal

My supplier just told me the other day that 1769-OW16***New estimated ship date 05/10/22 from Indiana
The struggle is real :oops:

I have had experience with Worldwide in the past, it was memorable, but not for good reasons. Their origins actually go back to them being the original importer of Weg motors, but Weg dropped them when they opened their own US based operation. Since then, Worldwide has had to find other sources and ended up with some low cost Chinese stuff. I bought some motors from them once, had a 50% out of the box failure rate. They replaced them, but the delay cost me a lot of money.

I know others have said they had problems with Rockwell - but most of their components have been fine on my end - apart from HMIs (which are overpriced anyway) and powerflex drives.

Siemens is nearly impossible to get across the board. I have 52 week lead times on some components.

Automation Direct is hit or miss on some stuff (but it has always been that way - it's just worse now).

Analog I/O cards seem to be incredibly hard to find. We've bought several for both Allen Bradley and Siemens from not-so-reputable sources online. So far it has worked out, but . . . .

He needed a 1769-OW16 and thats for a CompactLogix, yours was for a SLC and will not fit... also looking at the price for a 1769-OW16 on their website, I would look else where

Ouch! 1769-OW16 Price:$1,395
Even if I was that desperate, would they really be available now?
I really dislike it when companies take advantage of supply chain issues.
I know of another company who deals in used PLC parts that does this.

Ouch! 1769-OW16 Price:$1,395
Even if I was that desperate, would they really be available now?
I really dislike it when companies take advantage of supply chain issues.
I know of another company who deals in used PLC parts that does this.

But that's how the system works. If things stayed cheap, somebody would buy up a limited supply and then just resell at a higher cost anyway. a higher cost is a higher loss if they can't sell.

but in reality, if people don't purchase them at that price, then they won't be that price.

Many years ago I used Benshaw soft starts and drives. Have many of you used Benshaw lately ? Where are they actually built now ? I see they have a location in Pittsburgh and Canada . For the sake of our customers , I’m looking for options in case this supply chain issues get worse .

Thanks for all your responses and experiences . Have a great weekend .

Yes it is a struggle i think for many people.

I have spent at least 50% more time doing design work now because i cannot buy any components.
Changing manufactures, taking the long ways around, spending more money to get what we need to complete the projects. Forget going ethernet IP, i can't even go hardwired because i am not able to buy enough in cabinet I/O to even do that.
I have bought some items from PLC direct because i HAD to at 3x the price.
Having trouble with Omron, AB, Turck, ABB. Balluff, rittal, beckhoff.
Ones who have kept my projects moving are Mitsubishi, automation direct, and wientek.

I was looking for a 4PDT relay the other day found plenty but no sockets, then would look for the sockets first, then try the relays. I feel like im going in circles.lol

I have noticed repair houses are ramping up their employment. We all know why.