You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old April 1st, 2020, 09:11 PM   #1
daba
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United Kingdom

Ani-Virus Software vs Rockwell Software

Had an issue that started last Friday where my Anti-Virus software, AVG, got updated, and since then Rockwell software activations have ceased to work.

It is definitely AVG, turn it off, my RS products work, turn it on, No activations found.

AVG themselves don't seem to be able to fix it, even though they rolled-out the updates that broke it.

I think AVG is just putting up every shutter it can, and at the same time advertising more software to make your PC even slower....

I might just ditch AVG, and go with another. What do you guys use to protect your PCs

Everything works with smoke. Let it out, and it stops working.

Nil Carborundem Illegitimi

Old April 1st, 2020, 09:21 PM   #2
the_msp
Lifetime Supporting Member
United Kingdom

ZoneAlarm Extreme, no issues with AB but looking at moving away come renewal as it's windows only.

Have a WatchGuard on the ISP incomer but it's a physical box (Firebox T15).

Just started testing with MalwareBytes Pro, as a replacement to ZA with the T15 covering the Firewall essentials. So far so good.

Patrick G. B.Eng MIET

Making the flashy lights flash since the 90's

SCADA - Inductive Automation Gold Integrator | PLC | Control Panels | Robotics | Training

Connect with Matrix Engineering

My son was chewing on an electrical cord, so I had to ground him. He is doing better currently and conducting himself properly. My electrical skills are quite poor, which is a shock to some people
Old April 1st, 2020, 09:25 PM   #3
daba
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_msp View Post
ZoneAlarm Extreme, no issues with AB but looking at moving away come renewal as it's windows only.

Have a WatchGuard on the ISP incomer but it's a physical box (Firebox T15).

Just started testing with MalwareBytes Pro, as a replacement to ZA with the T15 covering the Firewall essentials. So far so good.

RA tell me that everything they provide is tested with MacAfee, so thinking of switching to that, but is MacAfee as good as AVG ?

Lol, I think I have just answered my own question ...

Old April 1st, 2020, 09:30 PM   #4
the_msp
United Kingdom

TL;DW ((didn't watch), but have seen some of his other tests) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMWp1-VmUUs

Patrick G. B.Eng MIET

Making the flashy lights flash since the 90's

SCADA - Inductive Automation Gold Integrator | PLC | Control Panels | Robotics | Training

Connect with Matrix Engineering

My son was chewing on an electrical cord, so I had to ground him. He is doing better currently and conducting himself properly. My electrical skills are quite poor, which is a shock to some people
Old April 1st, 2020, 09:54 PM   #5
Jeev
Australia

We are using ESET. There was a time when I used to use some of the free ones like AVG or Avast, but a great many AV's are so cheap now that you may as well pay the small amount.

I haven't used AVG for a number of years. Do they have a facility to create exceptions?
Old April 2nd, 2020, 02:25 AM   #6
AlfredoQuintero
Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
Do they have a facility to create exceptions?
I was about to suggest this before I read Jeev's post.
I use TrendMicro's Virus Buster and this software does have a menu where one can list those applications that I would want to be left alone by the Virus Buster.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 02:33 AM   #7
Jeev
Australia

Is this of any help?

https://support.avg.com/SupportArtic...pportType=home
Old April 2nd, 2020, 05:33 AM   #8
daba
United Kingdom

It makes no difference if the activations folder is in the exclusion list or not, Activation Manager cannot "see" the activations either way.

I have also added Activation Manager to the list of allowed programs, and that makes no difference either.

Currently AVG Tech Support is closed, due to the current pandemic, and they are in the process of setting the support guys up to work from home, but they have not yet got remote access.

Strangely, the activation for RSLogix500 does appear in FTAM, but it takes a long time to do so. This is the only activation I have that is "Concurrent", all the others that never appear are "Node-Locked". I find this weird, as the activation files are just plain-text files....

Old April 2nd, 2020, 08:11 AM   #9
kwade
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
We are using ESET. There was a time when I used to use some of the free ones like AVG or Avast, but a great many AV's are so cheap now that you may as well pay the small amount.

I haven't used AVG for a number of years. Do they have a facility to create exceptions?
I left AVG years ago because they did not honor the exceptions list entry for a specific application that I used. I gave them three years to fix it!
Old April 2nd, 2020, 09:33 AM   #10
janner_10
United Kingdom

Nothing on Win10 - just use built in Defender. I don't click silly things though!
Old April 2nd, 2020, 11:27 AM   #11
jkerekes
United States

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp....US#__highlight

Microsoft defender has security issues
Old April 2nd, 2020, 11:36 AM   #12
Geospark
Ireland

Hi Daba,

This technote...

ID: BF13983 | Access Levels: Everyone
FactoryTalk Activation Manager: FlexNet Stopped

...about half way down it mentions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF13983
...For testing purposes, disable your antivirus software and refresh the activation server. If you find out that the server state changes to Running and doesn’t go back to FlexNet Stopped please add Rockwell software to the antivirus exceptions list.

Note: This has been seen with AVG antivirus software...
It then links you to another technote...

ID: PN826 | Access Levels: Everyone
Security considerations when using Rockwell Automation Software Products

...which "should" have a PDF attachment with all of the necessary information for adding exceptions to Firewall/AVG. But it does not (get to that in a second)...

Also in the first technote, it says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF13983
Note: Even though the exclusions list includes activation-related services (FactoryTalk Activation Helper/Service, Codemeter etc.), this procedure was made with Studio 5000 in mind and includes Studio 5000 processes. It is recommended to add this list completely.
So, whatever it is they tell you to add to exclusions, it will likely be more than you have been adding?

As that PDF attachment is missing in the "fancy newfangled whoopdeedoo" support layout, I contacted Rockwell via Chat using the free Activations Support option, and a very helpful Wiktor promptly emailed me the PDF file that's missing...

Chat By Chat (Wiktor) (04/02/2020 09:49 AM)
[09:42:16 AM]Hello, welcome to Rockwell Automation. My name is Wiktor. How may I assist you today?
[09:43:34 AM]George: Hi, https://rockwellautomation.custhelp....ew/a_id/609492 [rockwellautomation.custhelp.com] The file attachment is missing (PDF). A colleague requires it to add exceptions to AVG antivirus as it is currently blocking FTActivations from seeing available activations.
[09:44:06 AM]Wiktor: please give me a minute
[09:44:36 AM]George: No problem, thank you.
[09:46:07 AM]Wiktor: george...@... this will be good mail to send it to ?
[09:46:22 AM]George: Yes, please, thank you.
[09:46:46 AM]Wiktor: please check your mail
[09:47:48 AM]George: PDF received, thank you very much Wiktor.
[09:48:28 AM]Wiktor: you are welcome
[09:48:35 AM]Wiktor: is there anything else i can help you with ?
[09:48:56 AM]George: No, thank you, you have been most helpful and prompt.
[09:49:09 AM]Wiktor: have a nice day then and stay safe
[09:49:11 AM]'George: You too!
[09:49:13 AM]'George' disconnected ('Concluded by Agent').

Although I now have this PDF file, I cannot attach a link to my private copy of it here, as that is against Forum Rules. However, if you PM me I'm sure I can discuss its "contents" a little with you? Else, you could also use Chat support and do as I did? It took no more than 10 minutes, as you can see.

It is worth having this file as the list of Rockwell "things" that need made exception of is quite lengthy and, I'm sure, may relate to more than just one brand of Firewall/Antivirus.

Regards,
George
Old April 2nd, 2020, 11:50 AM   #13
kwade
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkerekes View Post
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp....US#__highlight

Microsoft defender has security issues
From that link
[During this time, we are committed to being with you every step of the way, and it is critical you have the support you need. ]

Hmm, what about any other time?
Old April 2nd, 2020, 12:29 PM   #14
lfe
France

I have been using Windows Defender for many years.
For me it is enough and slows down the PC far less than McAfee or other famous antivirus
Old April 2nd, 2020, 04:13 PM   #15
Aabeck
United States

I have read posts here about people hating AVG or Avast and switching to the other.

I have each one a computer and can definitely state that, other than the window color and graphics, they are the same program.

The menus and settings are all worded the same in the same order, with the same options. So, I think the A in AVG stands for Avast V.G.

BTW - I just bought a new Xidax PC that came with ESET mentioned above & it is really an improvement.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum