Can't see Micro850 after failed firmware update

TijanaJ

Hello everyone!

This is the first time I use Micro850 controller (2080-LC50-48QWB) and after I made a really simple programme (just for testing) I wanted to download it to my controller (which I was able to see and connect to via Ethernet and USB normally) and I got a message saying that firmware version didn't match (programme - v9, and PLC - v4).

So I found some datasheet where was explained how to upgrade device firmware with ControlFLASH. I started the mentioned software, choose the right controller, and I choose the version 9 and the process started, but near the end I got the ERROR message, and the update wasn't finished successfully. So my controller went to fault (FAULT red light flashes) and now I can not see it in RSLinx nor via Ethernet nor USB.

Does anyone have any idea what could I do to try to establish connection with my controller? I have tried to change from prog mode to run, and back to prog, but the fault remains.

I really hope that I didn't make some serious mistake, because we need this PLC very soon for work.

Thanks in advance!🍺

The firmware upgrade attempt probably over-written your communication settings. Use the serial connection to try re-establish your settings and flash again.

First of all, thank you very much for your advice!

geniustraining, I have tried cycling power many times, but nothing changed. I did flash with a VM though, but I have done that with ControlLogix some time ago and there was no problem, so I didn't assume it will be now:confused: I was using USB connection, and I have done everything according to the manual (except for the VM part;) ).

kay_gsr13, I thought of that last night too, but that failed also. Although, I have never tried to connect via serial port before, so maybe I am doing something wrong. I will try again now.
This PLC supports Modbus RTU, CIP serial client/server and CIP symbolic client/server. I am not sure which driver should I configure in RSLinx? I tried "RS232 DF1 devices" :oops: Should I try another one?

This PLC supports Modbus RTU, CIP serial client/server and CIP symbolic client/server. I am not sure which driver should I configure in RSLinx? I tried "RS232 DF1 devices" :oops: Should I try another one?

I work with 820's more then any others... but I use the virtual driver and or Ethernet IP, try using Ethernet IP and see if it just sees it on the network, it is was set back to a factory default it may and you can just download your program again

geniustraining,
I have tried Ethernet IP and I don't see the plc, as well as via USB or serial port. The only way I can see anything regarding my controller is on AB_VBP_1, but I don't understand what can I use that connection for, and is there anything I can do with that to reestablish other forms of connection?
Is virtual backplane of any assistance in my case, when I can't approach my controller in any other way?
:confused:

I have tried, but when I select the adequate catalog number of the PLC, and then I select Micro850 from VBP, the next information pops up:
Invalid Catalog Number: The catalog number of the selected device does not match the catalog number selected in the Catalog Number Dialog.

But I am 100% sure that I didn't make a mistake when choosing the information.
In the attachment is the print screen of my RSLinx window

RSLinx scr shot.png

Try this: right click on the controller shown in the AB_VBP-1 driver, and click on Upload EDS file from device. After registering the uploaded EDS, check the USB driver.

nhatsen, thank you for your advice!
Although, I have thought of that, but there is no such option on right click (screen shot in the attachment). Wherever I click - on the controller, on any of the channels or on the yellow question mark, it's the same, no option for EDS upload. I have downloaded eds for the used controller from AB and I have added it using EDS Hardware Installation Tool, but nothing changed.
Whatever I try to do via VBP has no effect, which is why I don't really understand the purpose of the driver?:confused:

RSLinx scr shot2.png

tonvip21,
unfortunately there is no solution (at least I didn't find any). I got the following answer to this question on another forum:
" How were you connected during the firmware update...via USB or Ethernet? USB is convenient, but if the connection is interrupted during flashing, well you see what happens.

I personally do not have experience with the new Micro850 controller, but can say that some A-B processors, when the firmware update is interrupted, you have successfully "bricked" the processor making it completely unusable. In those cases, we had to replace the processor."

I was connected via USB, so I suppose that I have "bricked" it, and we weren't able to use it since.

I don't recall how to do it off the top of my head, but you can use an SD card to set the communication settings when the controller boots up.

Heard this many times but fortunately never happened to me, perhaps someone could start a business making Book Ends out of these "bricked" PLC's could be quite lucrative especially with Logix .

I don't recall how to do it off the top of my head, but you can use an SD card to set the communication settings when the controller boots up.

I dont think this would help, most of the time when you 'brick' the PLC because of flashing the firmware its stuck in boot-up cycle and can never finish the boot so it would never read the SD

Anyone have a 'bricked' Micro800 I would like to buy it from you