You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old April 2nd, 2020, 04:16 PM   #16
kwade
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aabeck View Post
I have read posts here about people hating AVG or Avast and switching to the other.

I have each one a computer and can definitely state that, other than the window color and graphics, they are the same program.

The menus and settings are all worded the same in the same order, with the same options. So, I think the A in AVG stands for Avast V.G.

BTW - I just bought a new Xidax PC that came with ESET mentioned above & it is really an improvement.
If it didn't originate that way, it evolved to that.
https://press.avast.com/avast-announ...re-avg-for-13b
Old April 2nd, 2020, 07:42 PM   #17
AustralIan
Germany

Licencing software and viruses have a lot in common, so it is any wonder they trigger the "hey, you're acting like a virus" detectors of AV products.

Adding a program as an exception to an AV program is at best a dangerous workaround, it is NOT a solution. Don't even consider it for critical applications.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 09:20 PM   #18
daba
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United Kingdom

AVG is now history on this specific PC that had the issue.

I have now purchased and installed McAfee, since I have been told that ALL RA software is tested with it.

I used AVG Clear to uninstall AVG, and installation of McAfee was very swift with no issues. All of my RA software is running smoothly again.

Since my purchase of McAfee was for 10 devices, it quickly got rolled onto my iPhone, my iPad, and will soon be replacing AVG on my other desktop, my two existing laptops, and another laptop I have purchased which should be here in a few days.

AVG has a history of being more aggressive with each update, and this most recent issue with RA activations was the final straw. Everything had been OK until Friday last, when an AVG update was installed.

I'm not even going to bother to try to look at the above-mentioned PDF, since AVG will be history as far as I am concerned.

AVG's support centre has been closed due to COVID-19, and I can understand that, but it was closed before a credible alternative support network was established. I purchased their support offerings, but support via email with a 2-day turn-around, is not good, and I will be seeking recompense,

Goodbye AVG, hello McAfee.

Everything works with smoke. Let it out, and it stops working.

Nil Carborundem Illegitimi

Old April 2nd, 2020, 09:55 PM   #19
NetNathan
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

MalwareBytes Pro is VERY good.
I also ran ESET for a while...I liked the way it immediately checked any storage device you plugged into the USB port.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8vHhgh6oM0&t=2s
Old April 2nd, 2020, 10:13 PM   #20
daba
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetNathan View Post
MalwareBytes Pro is VERY good.
I also ran ESET for a while...I liked the way it immediately checked any storage device you plugged into the USB port.

My work is around RA software. So I'm going with the recommendation and testing results they publish.

AVG has over the last year or two changed its flavour. Some of the messages that pop-up are "humorous", or "flippant", and I don't like it, not good for the job it does.

And I shouldn't be having to add exceptions and allows for any program already on my PC, even after a so-called "update".

Anyway, AVG is history now, so I'm all good

Everything works with smoke. Let it out, and it stops working.

Nil Carborundem Illegitimi

Old April 3rd, 2020, 09:56 AM   #21
saultgeorge
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by janner_10 View Post
Nothing on Win10 - just use built in Defender. I don't click silly things though!
+1 for that.

I talked to some senior controls engineers that were at my last job, and most of them use nothing but built-in Defender. And, their last words were what you said exactly: "Don't click on stuff you that doesn't seem familiar or seems suspicious." I don't have anything on my home computer except defender and I've had no problems. My company laptop however has Norton I think--their equipment, their choice.
Old April 3rd, 2020, 01:14 PM   #22
Aabeck
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by saultgeorge View Post
+1 for that.

I talked to some senior controls engineers that were at my last job, and most of them use nothing but built-in Defender. And, their last words were what you said exactly: "Don't click on stuff you that doesn't seem familiar or seems suspicious."
The problem with that is I got an email from a known salesperson at a known supplier that included an attachment he said was a PDF of new service rates. Except the attachment was xxx.PDF.JAR a Java-script file. Since I do not set my computers to not shown known extensions I saw the JAR. I know a shop I go to where the IT 'guy' makes it a point to not show them and all his computers would show the .PDF and they would have no problem opening a PDF from a known source.

I called the salesman and he told me their network and all systems were hacked into the night before and thousands of those emails were sent from their legitimate server.
Old November 26th, 2022, 05:12 PM   #23
Sangiliraj
India

I am facing issue with mcafee end point protection because of after installed Mcafee Rockwell license not available in the activation manager. Pls guide to overcome the issue.
Old November 26th, 2022, 08:00 PM   #24
James Mcquade
United States

at home i use pc cillin.
where i used to work, symantec
please note ! there is a specific way to uninstall mcafee, it's not with the uninstaller (or at least it was that way several years ago).
if you used the uninstall program, things went sideways.
i cannot speak about now.
james
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum