Machine Network: Managed switch, DLR??

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've never used a managed switch before, and I've never configured a DLR before. On my current extruder rehab project, I'm thinking about both... at least a hybrid DLR. In the picture, the "Roll Stand Panel" had a Moxa EDS-408A managed switch already installed in the panel. I'll be learning more about configuring it next week, but I wanted to post this network drawing today so I could get some feedback from experienced eyes. Any thoughts about this? The drives did not have dual RJ 45 jacks, so they aren't on a ring. But the Flex IO does have a ring ability... at least I think I can do it this way. I chose to put the Ignition HMI on a separate network instead of doing a DLR with the 1756-EN2TR on the PLC. Any thoughts on that?

I still have a learning curve to get through before I know how to configure the managed switches, but I've never regretted putting questions like these up on this board.

NetworkQuestions.png

Maybe I am missing it, but I was not able to find any DLR support for MOXA.
To have DLR, all ring nodes must support DLR that is usually done in hardware.

You're right. I need to spend some time learning exactly what DLR is, versus a ring topology. I grabbed on to the "Device Level Ring" and made assumptions.

I guess my goal is to see if I can do better than just putting a couple of unmanaged switches in. You guys that have experience... how do you see a little machine network like this? Do you use managed switches?

This machine is an upgrade from another extruder upgrade we did 10 years ago. That one had a SLC 5/05 and a DeviceNet network for the VFDs and Flex IO racks. We used Ethernet for the temperature and pressure controllers, and for the SLC communication to the Red Lion HMI. I used 3 Phoenix Contact unmanaged switches for that one... pretty basic.

Moxa has a so-called "turbo-ring" feature in the EDS line. I have the exact model you're using and can help with exploring it with any questions you might have.

Moxa has a so-called "turbo-ring" feature in the EDS line. I have the exact model you're using and can help with exploring it with any questions you might have.

That's great, thanks! I brought it home with me for the weekend because so I can figure out how to get into it to see the configuration. I installed their MX view software on a VM, but I haven't tried it yet. I see there is a RS232 port on the top, using an RJ45 jack. I have a DB9 to RJ45 converter coming tomorrow, and I'll try using it with a USB to serial converter. It was pretty cheap. (I'm always going to buy stuff like this for the experience, even though I believe the instructions specify I could use Ethernet.) I know the IP address of the 1756-EN2TR card that was plugged into it, but I don't know if that is relevant to accessing the setup. (172.28.0.78)

I saw the "Turbo-ring" feature in the specs... interesting. I think that is initially what got me thinking about managing the network.

MXview.png

Make sure you understand the difference between a ring of switches versus a device level ring. I'm not familiar with the Moxa tech, but what I saw was a ring of switches.

OG

I've hit a dead-end.

I used an Ethernet cable from my laptop to one of the ports. First I tried using the default IP address on the side of the Moxa... 192.168.127.253, just to make sure it doesn't work. Then, I tried addresses within the subnet of the PLC card... 172.28.0.xxx, trying 253, 255, 0, 1. When that didn't work, I downloaded a MAC scanner software that I've used before, by Colasoft. That showed me the address was .104 (see pic.). Success! ...well, sort of success. I got the login screen, but there is a password, and it's not the default, "moxa". It appears that I need to be logged in to reset it to factory default.

Any thoughts?

colasoft_mac_scanner.png

I'll dig into this more tomorrow. I still have to buy one more switch, and at this point it'll probably be one that compliments the one that is already installed... probably the same model. But just like everything else these days, I fear availability issues. This project was started a year ago, but many of the key components (VFDs) and modifications (gear boxes) had huge lead times. Now, I'm just waiting on some of the Flex IO components, especially the 1794-AENTR.

Shout out to "Genius In Training", Mark had the ten TB3 bases I needed, along with some relay output modules.

You're right. I need to spend some time learning exactly what DLR is, versus a ring topology. I grabbed on to the "Device Level Ring" and made assumptions.

I guess my goal is to see if I can do better than just putting a couple of unmanaged switches in. You guys that have experience... how do you see a little machine network like this? Do you use managed switches?

This machine is an upgrade from another extruder upgrade we did 10 years ago. That one had a SLC 5/05 and a DeviceNet network for the VFDs and Flex IO racks. We used Ethernet for the temperature and pressure controllers, and for the SLC communication to the Red Lion HMI. I used 3 Phoenix Contact unmanaged switches for that one... pretty basic.

Rockwell does recommend MANAGED switches if you have ANY non-Rockwell I/O on the network (which your photo appears to show). It sounds like a sales pitch, but from personal experience, I have found it to be true....the hard way.