Can't see Micro850 after failed firmware update

It should work for Micro 850 with SD card modules.

2080-MEMBAK-RTC + a SD Card

I dont think that will work for the 850 because they dont have a SD slots, only the 820 does thats why I was looking at the 2080-SDMEMRTC-SC, it has the SD slot .... BUT that got me thinking, we should just be able to use a MEMBAK and accomplish the same thing, I just dont know it it will fault when the PLC no longer sees the card, because it would be removed once its flashed and has the program, I may give it a try

I dont think that will work for the 850 because they dont have a SD slots, only the 820 does thats why I was looking at the 2080-SDMEMRTC-SC, it has the SD slot .... BUT that got me thinking, we should just be able to use a MEMBAK and accomplish the same thing, I just dont know it it will fault when the PLC no longer sees the card, because it would be removed once its flashed and has the program, I may give it a try

I was helping a coworker with an issue on an 820 similar to a firmware issue.

It appeared to be a hard fault on startup after a failed download of settings (fairly new module too, never in service, only desk testing), so we used the memory card and configmefirst.txt file to attempt to get it to reset.

Tried to get it to change the IP using the memory card, tried any and all things we could including rs232 through wired connections on it. but unfortunately the memory card was never being read before it went into a faulted state.

It is written in the data sheet that the 2080-SDMEMRTC-SC module can do firmware updates from the SD card without a PC.

I only have a doubt about the firmware version which should be newer than 12.00.00 on the PLC and the 2080-SDMEMRTC-SC module does not appear in the plug-in module list of my version of CCW 20.01.00.

Is there a patch for that?

https://spectrumcontrols.com/download/2080-sdmemrtc-sc-data-sheet/

It is written in the data sheet that the 2080-SDMEMRTC-SC module can do firmware updates from the SD card without a PC.

Correct, thats why a bought a couple BUT....

Firejo said:
the problem you will run into is the processor isn't necessary going to know there is a memory module installed until you configure it have one there.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=872829&postcount=2

So at least for me its pointless, if I have to go into the processor and configure it (with my PC) then why not just flash it while im there.... :rolleyes:

When we do the 820's we insert the card and power it up... a little time later it goes into RUN and the lights light up

I had a connection problem when I updated the firmware with control flash 15.06.00. (Error: Update to target device failed)

It shows 2080-LC50-24QBB rather than 2080-LC50-48QBB, I can't upload eds file from device.

I want to try to flash it from the sd card, but im not sure it will work because of this problem and micro 850 version 6.00.00 rather than 12.00.00.

Log
Mon Nov 14 14:14:21 2022 [SUCCESS] Update: Instance = 8, Size = 497860 byte(s), Chunk Size = 350 byte(s), Major Rev = 2, Minor Rev = 9

Mon Nov 14 14:14:31 2022 [SUCCESS] Load Script: C:\Program Files (x86)\ControlFLASH\0001\000E\008F\2080-LC50-FPGA-OCL-48A_12.013.bin

Mon Nov 14 14:15:52 2022 [FAILURE] Reset: Error #11003: Unconnected Send timed out waiting for a response.
GS=0x01, ES=0x0204

Mon Nov 14 14:15:52 2022 [FAILURE] Reset:

Mon Nov 14 14:15:54 2022 [FAILURE] Update: Instance = 102, Error #11003: Unconnected Send timed out waiting for a response.
GS=0x01, ES=0x0204

Mon Nov 14 14:15:55 2022 [FAILURE] Reset: Error #11003: Unconnected Send timed out waiting for a response.
GS=0x01, ES=0x0204

Mon Nov 14 14:15:55 2022 [FAILURE] Reset:

Mon Nov 14 14:14:31 2022 [SUCCESS] Load Script: C:\Program Files (x86)\ControlFLASH\0001\000E\008F\2080-LC50-FPGA-OCL-48A_12.013.bin

Mon Nov 14 14:15:52 2022 [FAILURE] Reset: Error #11003: Unconnected Send timed out waiting for a response.
GS=0x01, ES=0x0204

The issue looks like (WAG) the first thing it does is erase the current version then it loads the new version, not sure but 1:21 may have been long enough to erase the old but then it lost COM's and could not reload the new

When I try and look up firmware on AB this is what I get.... guess I ****ed someone off

Can you try 6.0 then try 12 again?

Untitled.png

No, it no longer works with RS linx classic or Factory Talk linx.
There is a catalog number error with control flash, it is displayed 2080-LC50-24QBB.
Same problem with control flash plus
Failed to communicate to the target device. An unknown communication error code was received from the target device.Update failed, reset module.

There is also a connection problem with CCW to update the firmware, I cannot select it from the Factory talk list, there is a catalog number problem.

I want to try with sd card and 2080-SDMEMRTC-SC module to install firmware without control flash or CCW connection.

Could the connection with the serial port help to reinstall the firmware? What is the model number of this cable?

https://freeimage.host/i/H9kDMnj
https://freeimage.host/i/H9kD4Fp
https://freeimage.host/i/H9kbFDu

Could the connection with the serial port help to reinstall the firmware? What is the model number of this cable?

The LC50 has a USB port and its nothing special any A to B USB cable should work... its worth a try

See if you have any old USB Printer cables, its the same as that one

Please take a look at the label of the PLC. Does it say that it was manufactured before April 2015? Considering its firmware was version 4, this may be the key. If so, look at this little note buried in the Micro800 release notes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Micro830® and Micro850® controllers with date code earlier than April 2015
may be unable to update the firmware under certain conditions. For more
information, see the Rockwell Automation Knowledgebase,
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/, Answer ID 1085604.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got bitten by this when upgrading a Micro850. The aftermath for me was the same as you described, with flashing red lights, no comms, and RSLinx showing the "base" PLC model but not the I/O count (2080-LC50 instead of 2080-LC50-24QBB).

If this applies to you, then reach out to Rockwell tech support so they can waste some time trying to "fix it" then issue you a sort of RMA number to give to your AB/Rockwell vendor to help you get the PLC exchange process started. Rockwell knows about this issue and will credit the vendor for selling you a replacement Micro850 (at least this was true through last year). In my case, I paid for the replacement and had a credit on file for future purchases awarded to me.

In other words, if it was made before April 2015...it's bricked forever more.

Let us know.

Micro850 Firmware Note.PNG

Last edited:
Its been a while since this thread has been opened, but just in case someone is struggling and thinking they have bricked the micro, here goes my experience:
Tried firmware upgrade from version 2 to version 10 on a 2080-LC50 24QWB and it bombed out while polling for power up.
Couldnt connect to and when I went to RSlinx, I could see it via USB under AB-VBP1(virtual backplane) but it just had the base catalogue number (Micro 850 2080-LC50) without the I/O catalogue number(24QWB in my case).
What I did was go into Controlflash, drilled down the virtual backplane, drilled down Micro 850-LC50 and selected PCviaUSB Unknown Bus to get it to work.
The trick though is that the micro defaults to a different catalogue number from the one you have( hence you always get invalid catalogue number), so you have to start from the first LC50 catalogue number in Controlflash and drill down to PCvisUSB every time then click next to do a firmware upgrade.
You will get invalid catalogue number until you get to the new catalogue number that the micro has assigned itself. Mine assigned itself as 2080-LC50- 24QBB
Remember to drill down to PCviaUsb in Controlflash.
Hope this helps someone