PLC5 - Contrologix com with MSG

Iner

Hello,

I have a question regarding the possibility of using messages instructions to communicate between:

PLC5/80E Series D - CE Water Mark Revision B
PLC5/40E Series D - CE Water Mark Revision B

And

Contrologix 1756-EN2T

I am aware that there are some compatibility issues at play but can't find a compatibility sheet or a official requirement.

The control logix would do the write and read requests.

Regards,

If I recall correctly (I did not touch PLC5 is 8 years), you need Series D Rev E to be able to talk to Logix.

Thanks for the answer.

I suppose there are no way to change the revision of the PLC5 (through a firmware update) ? I am sorry to ask but I am not familiar at all with PLC5.

PLC-5 Enhanced and Ethernet controllers with Series E or Series F hardware, as well as PLC-5 ControlNet controllers with Series C or later hardware, can be firmware updated using their serial port. The firmware upgrade tool is a DOS-only (not even a DOS shell in Windows) software utility.

Older PLC-5 controllers require a set of EPROM chips.

To my knowledge, Rockwell stopped offering field upgrade kits for purchase several years ago for the PLC-5. The only way to upgrade the firmware of a PLC-5 today is to send it to Rockwell for remanufacturing.

There is a guy on you tube that demonstrates the process of cloning the eproms and updating the flash. He might be able to help you (if Rockwell doesn't find him first)

It may still work as you say your read/write will all be in the ControlLogix. The PLC5 may not be able to read/write the logix but the Logix should still be able to read/write.

You can do it with DH+, if the ethernet does not work out. I have used messaging with older 5/25's via DH+ on many systems, not as fast, and you need a DH+ Module in the CLX platform.

Thanks for the answers and the tips.

We won't youtube-tuto update their firmware and they are trying to get rid of the Devicenet network so it's not a solution.

They still have plenty PLC5 on their factory network, they are in the process of replacing them with ControlLogix, and some of them have the suitable revision. We will have to select the proper middleman PLC5 and make sure it's the last one they will replace.

Have you tried using MSG blocks with "PLC5 Typed Read" and "PLC5 Typed Write" options (instead of the "CIP" communication options) in the ControlLogix PLCs? (Doesn't work for all PLC5s)

Going back a few years we had a bunch of PLC5 in the plant and were changing to CLX. The PLC5/80 that we had (I think rev D??) were able to communicate with the CLX PLCs by using this method and we had to use that PLC5 to communicate with other PLC5s (like a PLC5/20E) that could not be reached by the CLX. Not a perfect solution but worked for the transition to CLX. Can't promise this will work in your case but I haven't seen this mentioned as an option in this thread so far and something you could try if you haven't already.

MSG.png