How to connect a SLC5/03 to a PC via DH485 (RJ45)?

shaydzmi

Hi,

I have a SLC5/03 connected to a working HMI via RE232 port, and connected to a broken HMI via DH485 (RJ45), I want to use the cable that used to connect the broken HMI, to connect the PLC to my PC. Is it possible? If yes; what changes do I need to do to the cable?
I have a null modem serial cable rs232, and a rs232 to USB converter cable.

Thank you.

Their website does not work well for me, but odds are you will need a 1747-UIC as it sounds like both ports on the 5/03 are configured for DH485, the RJ485 is DH485 on the 5/03 but the DB9 is configurable and can be reconfigured to DH485 and this sounds like what someone has done

That said.... you can set the 5/03 back to factory default and the DB9 with then be RS232 (DF1) and you can use just a null modem/cross over cable to connect the 5/03, if you do this the program will be GONE and you will need to download the program back to it, not sure if this would be an option for you or not

[..] as it sounds like both ports on the 5/03 are configured for DH485, the RJ485 is DH485 on the 5/03 but the DB9 is configurable and can be reconfigured to DH485 and this sounds like what someone has done.
Why do you conclude that ?
He only writes that there is a working HMI on the RS232 port.
It could be that the RS232 (Ch0) port is set to DF1 which would be the typical setup, and another HMI is on the DH485 (Ch1) port.

If he try to connect an ethernet cable to the Ch1 port he can damage the PC side.
If he try to connect a null-modem cable to the Ch0 port, he cannot damage anything, worst case is that the connection fails. So I suggest try to disconnect the working HMI from Ch0 and connect the PC with a null-modem cable, and then use autoconfigure and hope that he can get online.

He does write that he wants to use the DH485 port, but if he just wants to be online for a short time, disconnecting the working HMI can be an acceptable solution.

Hi,

I have a SLC5/03 connected to a working HMI via RE232 port, and connected to a broken HMI via DH485 (RJ45), I want to use the cable that used to connect the broken HMI, to connect the PLC to my PC. Is it possible? If yes; what changes do I need to do to the cable?
I have a null modem serial cable rs232, and a rs232 to USB converter cable.

Thank you.

The cable that connects DH485 to 5/03 and HMI is the 1747-C10 cable typically.

it has that larger connector going to the HMI and the RJ45 going to the PLC.

Don't be fooled by the Cable looking like Ethernet, it's not. pins 6 and 3 i believe are typically not connected, and there will be 24v within the cable where there is normally a ground in a crossover ethernet cable.

If you want to connect your PC to the PLC using the DH485 port (RJ45 connector). then you need to get a 1747-UIC. You can use a Standard ethernet straight through cable, but only if you check it to be certain thats what you have.

DO NOT USE A CROSSOVER CABLE. A crossover cable will destroy components if you use an ethernet cable to connect with. Either your PC ethernet port will die, or your SLC will die.

you can be safe and just get a 1747-c13 which plugs into the 1747-UIC and then to your SLC 5/03, this has the offending pins not hooked up and prevents any damage through negligence.

Why do you conclude that ?
He only writes that there is a working HMI on the RS232 port.
It could be that the RS232 (Ch0) port is set to DF1 which would be the typical setup, and another HMI is on the DH485 (Ch1) port.

The way I took it.... and it maybe wrong

shaydzmi said:
SLC5/03 connected to a working HMI via RE232 port

This would be the DB9 port (NOT the RJ45 port) the DB9 is configured to DH485 and is communicating to the HMI via DH485

JesperMP said:
And if he wants to use the Dh485 Ch1 port, then a suitable DH485 cable from your own shop could do the trick.

me said:
but odds are you will need a 1747-UIC

IanM8040 said:
The cable that connects DH485 to 5/03 and HMI is the 1747-C10 cable typically

Depends on the HMI and its not typical, most HMI's dont have that connection, I have only seen that connection on the AB HMI's, since his HMI is a ESA... I would say no it does not have that connection

More information is needed to give a good answer, another reason that its nice to read a good question just as much as a good answer

Depends on the HMI and its not typical, most HMI's dont have that connection, I have only seen that connection on the AB HMI's, since his HMI is a ESA... I would say no it does not have that connection

Very true, I thought we were looking at an AB considering the age and the protocol being used. Reading comprehension on a monday is as good as ever!

That 'VT050' isn't listed on that website either.

This is the communication setting:

Screenshot-2022-11-07-160835.png

As I've said, I have no problem getting online with PLC via RS232, but what I want to do is to connect PC to PLC via RJ45 Port, while the working HMI is connected to PLC through RS232, by using what I have in hand:
- USB to RS232
- RS232 null modem
- The old cable used between PLC and the destroyed HMI, which is in the PLC side like an Ethernet plug, and the HMI side is a DB25 connector.

This is the communication setting:

Screenshot-2022-11-07-160835.png

As I've said, I have no problem getting online with PLC via RS232, but what I want to do is to connect PC to PLC via RJ45 Port, while the working HMI is connected to PLC through RS232, by using what I have in hand:
- USB to RS232
- RS232 null modem
- The old cable used between PLC and the destroyed HMI, which is in the PLC side like an Ethernet plug, and the HMI side is a DB25 connector.

either the adapter mickey posted, or this one

https://www.plccable.com/aftermarke...c-usb-to-dh485-usb-version-1747-pic-1747-c13/

with this one you would need the 1747-c13 cable, or a straight through ethernet (absolutely no crossover cables). in order to connect the plc to the PC.

and then the software you would need is RSlinx and RSlogix500... do you have those software? RSlinx is free, but RSlogix500 is not.

No. The cable does not convert from RS232 to RS485 (which is used with the DH485 network). So the ESA operator panel has some integral hardware circuitry to connect to the DH485 network.
The resistors on the HMI side are terminations for an RS485 network.

In short, forget about connecting to the RJ45 port on the SLC5/03 CPU if you dont have the appropriate hardware for it.

The SLC500 is an obsolete system. Dont waste too much effort or concoct a non-standard cable. If you damage something, you will find that spare parts are very expensive.
If anything, you should think about migrating to something uptodate.