OT: Looking for sample pump

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I need to locate a better sample pump than this. While these work, they just aren't built for years of service. 120V supply and in a damp underground environment. 1000ml/min
Greylor Pump.png

Just water. It's used to lift sample when the tank get too low to supply enough head to the instrumentation. Suction side might have to draw a few feet of sample .

how about a small sump pump. I found a small 12v pump once that I was going to use to move water that collected from rain occasionally in a crawlspace (Tidewater Virginia), but eventually I got a dehumidifier.

No, I need something to run all the time bringing a sample to an instruments. About 75% of the time the level in the tank is high enough to supply without a pump, but when it drops too low the flow stops, so I have to force some flow.
I found a aquarium recirc pump that will work short term, but I'd really prefer a more robust model without stepping up to the level of Promiment :) .
The Greylor ones I have used for a long time (pictured) just don't have the lifespan they used to.

We normally just buy the smallest single phase grundfos CRE (0.75kW I think?) with 3 or 4 stages, plumb it so that the discharge goes back to the tank, and use valving to provide backpressure so that sufficient water goes to the analysers.

It's probably not as energy efficient a solution as these small sample pumps, but replacement pumps are easy to source, and I've found the grundfos single phase motors on the CREs to be very reliable. I generally stay away from single phase pumps when i can avoid it but they are the exception. Since our reservoir sites are not often 3 phase supplied we are stuck with 1p.

I never considered tapping off a sample stream of that magnitude. That would certainly improve the response time :)

Yes that's an added benefit, you keep the main loop at a high flow rate and tap off close to the analyser with the small tubing.

We normally include a small pressure reducing valve and / or over pressure relief on the instrument line as well just incase some clever bugger closes the discharge valve fully.