SettingIPAddressOnLaptop

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
Here is the process that I go about Changing the IP address of my laptop to match the Network that my PLC and HMI are on.

Settings: Network & Internet:ChangeAdapterOptions:Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP/v4)
I always set my Laptop IP Address to the first address in the Network
010|001|001|001
Then I set my Subnet Mask to 255.255.240.0
I am done connecting, and want to get back on the Office network, I choose Obtain an IP address Automatically
This works for me but every time I go through this, I wonder: Is this how everybody does this?
Seems like a lot of steps

SettingIPAddress.JPG

I use a free program called "Simple IP Config". Allows me to save a different configuration for each client. Can change addresses with one or two clicks.

+1 for NetSetMan, it also has a lot of tools for finding ip addresses and scanning networks and is rediculously easy to use.

I carry a usb - ethernet adaptor and leave the laptop ethernet adaptor set for the office network. This way when i plug the adaptor in it retains the static addresses. I have multiple static addresses set on different subnets.

I have a batch file with 10 preset addresses including DHCP. I run the batch file, pick a number and the address is set.

I used to use NETSH combined with a few batch files.
NETSH is a command line tool that is included on any windows.
Simple and worked for me.

Unfortunately my IT dept has blocked the use of such tools on my PC, so now I have to use a special IT-approved tool which is much more cumbersome.

I used to use batch files that set up the static addresses or DHCP using netsh. Now, I use a USB Ethernet adapter that retains its addresses and leave the built in adapter DHCP for the office LAN.

Another advantage of the USB adapter is that I can connect it directly to the virtual machine and disable the VM's other adapters to make BOOTP actually work without disrupting other network things I'm doing.

I carry a usb - ethernet adaptor and leave the laptop ethernet adaptor set for the office network. This way when i plug the adaptor in it retains the static addresses. I have multiple static addresses set on different subnets.
I carry a USB to ethernet so that I don't mess with the IT one also gives internet access without having to disconnect etc.

USB to Ethernet solution is so simple.
Why didn't I think of that?
Works great!
Now I am going to slowly forget my IP address :)
Thank you all for the suggestions.

USBToEthernet.JPG

I use a USB to Ethernet adapter for one network and the built in one for another.
My office work I use the Wifi connection.

Back
Top Bottom