Is There a standard wiring for modbus RS485 RTU two wires ?

Why such differences exist ?

Cf. https://xkcd.com/927/

standards.png

I just started using MB on Rotork, Be aware of the 'masking' required to switch between control sources.
@Waterboy:
Hi, do you have any document where I can see what I Should be aware of. ?

In my case everything is going to be controlled only by a Siemens PC S7-1500, should I be aware of "masking" in my situation. ?

Last edited:
Was just telling someone about this last week...wish they would just get rid of A/B...+/- for the win!

@Waterboy:
My application uses MK3 instead of MK2.
And Thanks anyway , I will not use any terminal input to the actuator, I will use it exclusively thru Modbus RTU.
By the way, this application is for an aqueduct.
Regards,

widelto

It is finally working

From Siemens web page:

Note
If you use an RS485 connection cable or an RS422 connection cable that is longer than 50m, you should add a terminating resistor of approx. 330Ω.
Exceptions here are the modules CM 1241 and CB 1241 with other terminating resistors.
They only terminate the two ends of the RS485 network. The devices between the two terminal devices are not terminated.

1)Terminator should be 330 ohms for distances greater than 50 meters, (Modbus standard is 120 ohms)
2) If distance is less than 50 meters no terminator is use on any end. That was my case because I was testing ROTORK valves actuators at the office.

See attached figure.

I am supposed to setup the whole project, maybe this afternoon or tomorrow, I will need to buy 330 ohm terminators , my whole distance is grater than 300 meters.

Siemens Terminator 330 Ohms.jpg

@Waterboy :
Thanks for your advice, my question is :
In my case that my applications states that valves are normally close or normally open , should I need to be aware of masking.
As I mentioned, I only use Modbus to open close and diagnostic valves.

As I now recall, on the MK3 there is a 'preference' you can set from the GUI menu that will handle this. If its working through MB as you like, you are good.

In my app I had had contention between the commands given through the discrete inputs and the MB commands and you need to tell the Rotork which to use when that happens.
In this case there was a local "Oh ****" button to close the valve and that needed to take precidence over the modbus command when it was invoked.