FactoryTalk Historian SE Ethernet/IP add-on???

Has anyone put together a package and implemented FT Historian? Is it really necessary to pay $1,200 a year to have your Historian talk to your AB PLCs? Here is the description:
Collect high-speed data from Logix-based controllers using I/O Class 1 messaging over EtherNet/IP.

I am tasked with assembling quotes for FT Historian SE as well as Aveda PI Core. I can not get ahold of anyone from Rockwell that knows anything. My local distributors can't even spell Historian. I can not get ahold of anyone for PI and their website is worthless! I am sure its pricing is 4x that of Rockwell though as it seems to be an all inclusive package. That's too bad no one wants to sell their product.

We have it implemented locally.

You don't need that addon, By default Historian SE comes w/ the live data interface.

That addon is for bypassing the live data interface and going direct to the PLC, which you only need if you're going to collect data faster then ~.1 sec.

We have it implemented locally.

You don't need that addon, By default Historian SE comes w/ the live data interface.

That addon is for bypassing the live data interface and going direct to the PLC, which you only need if you're going to collect data faster then ~.1 sec.

Thank you so much, Dravik! This makes sense.

I have more than my share of FT Historian implementations under my belt so ask away. It's OSI Pi under the hood and works well in a Rockwell ecosystem but does not play all that well outside the Rockwell ecosystem.

These days when doing historians we primarily use Ignition and Canary labs because it's 1/10th the cost and is much more flexible and scalable.

The ordering guide that Dravik provided will be most helpful and you can put the part numbers in proposal works to get list pricing for everything but make sure you are sitting down before you do it.

Last edited:
Thank you Phil! I am sure I will have many questions. I am new to the field. I came from the Electrical contractor trade and have a fresh software engineering degree. I fell in love with the PLC so here I am! This forum is amazing!