Powerflex 525, ADC and firmware

camo200sx

Quick one. Can a newer 525 control module be swapped in place of one with lower fw rev? Originals are 5 and new 8 but it doesn't work due to firmware not the same. I think it should be able to use firmware supervisor to automatically downgrade the new control module automatically when installed if that revision is stored on plc SD card. This is something I've read but no experience.

Anyone done similar or know if this is possible?

Cheers!

VFD with ADC can work but you have to rev the drive to the same firmware.
That was always the issue with devicenet and ethernet ADC where the initial drive was at a certain level and the replacement did not match the drive firmware.

I think it can be done if the firmware and plc program was stored in nonvolatile memory, but it requires the programmer to always save the program into memory under program mode. And this can be only done at certain times around production. I believe this is on the controller tab under nonvolatile memory where the firmware update is checked. By checking this the firmware for all devices on tree can be stored and when the processor sees a difference, the firmware will be updated, then since the ADC was checked on the drive then all the parameters can be downloaded.

I think there is a write up in the pdf manual that describes these procedures above on ADC and program in nonvolatile memory.

This whole area paints you in a corner and usually causes problems at 2am, so most people shy away from it.

This whole area paints you in a corner and usually causes problems at 2am, so most people shy away from it.
I've found the exact opposite to be true. Having properly configured firmware supervisor and ADC means that at 2am when a drive lets out the magic smoke, instead of my phone ringing, any electrician smart enough to hold a screwdriver can change the drive, set an IP address, and walk away with a fully functional replacement drive.

Yes, you do have to transfer the firmware files to the SD card on the PLC, and this can only be done in program mode. But once you have firmware supervisor and ADC configured for each drive, the drive replacement process looks like:
1. Replace drive (or just the control module, or just the power module - whichever is faulty)
2. Power up drive and set IP address. If you only replaced the power module, this won't be necessary. In every panel where I install ADC drives, I always print and laminate a "here is a list of the IP addresses for all drives in this panel, and here are the parameter numbers to enter them" and stick it to the back of the door
3. PLC sees that a VSD with IP address ABC has connected but has the incorrect firmware version and parameters. PLC flashes firmware and downloads parameters
4. Electrician has already packed up their tools and gone to smoko
5. ASF is still soundly asleep

There's a few nuances to getting it set up and operational, but nothing wildly difficult, and once you set it up, it's fantastic.

To cover the original question a little better - firmware supervisor will only work if it's been set up. If it hasn't, you have two options:
1. Flash the drive firmware to the revision the PLC is expecting
2. Update the PLC program to tell it what version of firmware the new drive has. This will require a download

Or, of course:

3. Set up firmware supervisor and ADC and let the PLC do it all for you

Brilliant! Thanks for the info. So going by all this, it is possible, even if the firmware of the new control module needs to be downgraded.

So long as the firmware currently existing on the 525's is also on the nonvolatile memory, all should be well if configured correctly. :)

ADC currently works but due to the firmware being newer on potential spares, it failed.

"I've found the exact opposite to be true. Having properly configured firmware supervisor and ADC means that at 2am when a drive lets out the magic smoke, instead of my phone ringing, any electrician smart enough to hold a screwdriver can change the drive, set an IP address, and walk away with a fully functional replacement drive."

I am glad someone has successfully done this. I always had to do this for a particular customer and it was painful experience but for most part worked. But Mr Murphy seems to strike me down in some of these cases. This was devicenet/drive ADC and ethernet/drive ADC

I think the only drawback is when you have a firmware revision that crosses over into a different series.

A versus B, C, etc.....

I think you need to be aware of this issue but I would ask your local distributer on this concern.

Also if you have a switch in your panel with DHCP persistence per port your electrician doesn't even have to mess with the IP address the switch will set it for them.

Also, the firmware issues are not just an ADC thing. Most modules and other devices from Rockwell will be default set to compatible keying which means if you have a card, drive, etc that is 5.1 and it dies and you replace it with 5.8 it's all good but if you have 7.2 in your store room and replace it with that then it won't work as the major revision no longer matches and some action must be taken

Options are to reconfigure the module setting or flash the module manually or in this case, let ADC do it if the correct firmware is in place.

Correct, the major revision is different so the options are.

- Downgrade revision of spare control modules
- Let ADC downgrade automatically
- Upgrade all existing to the newer firmware of the spares

(y)

Correct, the major revision is different so the options are.

- Downgrade revision of spare control modules
Yes, this is one option
- Let ADC downgrade automatically
Important point of difference: ADC doesn't touch the firmware, the firmware supervisor does. ADC and firmware supervisor are different and completely separate things. ADC cares only about parameters, and will only work if the firmware matches (which is what you've found). ADC without firmware supervisor is great for undoing Bubba's late-night parameter hacking and restoring the parameters to where they were supposed to be, but it's not much good for automatic drive replacement, because of the firmware issues. Firmware supervisor doesn't care in the slightest about parameters; it just enforces firmware revisions. With their power combined, you have an elegant solution to late-night device replacement issues.
- Upgrade all existing to the newer firmware of the spares
This will work until next week when you order another new drive and the firmware revision is higher again

Just do you know; ADC loads the old programming in memory into the new drive fairly fast. But Firmware Supervisor takes considerably more time, upward of 20 minutes (I’ve only done it on 750 class though).

I've only ever done it (and actually tested the firmware flash/ADC) on a powerflex 525, and using a 5069 processor. It took around 5-10 minutes. Your point stands - just adding some more info.