electric knockout sets

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just wondering if anyone had any positive or negative experiences with electric knockout sets. The two I am looking at or Milwaukee and Greenlee. I have read of some people complaining about the milwaukee dies warping after a few hundred holes. Just wondering if anyone has had any good or bad experiences that they can share.

Haven't used either much,but have a mate in the cable glanding business. He uses Klauke which is our European branding same as Greenlee. He is normally a big fan of Milwaukee cordless tools and bought a Milwaukee knockout tool. I asked him, pretty much exactly the question you asked, and he told me "never again, the Milwaukee is only a toy" compared with the Klauke.

We have both Milwaukee and Greenlee. 99% of thr time my guys reach for the Milwaukee because its cordless and way faster than a screw or hydraulic. 15 years ago i bought a hydraulic and man was it awesome. 2 years ago I bought a cordless. 1 year ago I bought another vordless because when I wanted to use it they had the others out on jobs.

If you get a few hunded holes out of a knockout you are doing great. I figure 50 holes and i will replace it. The first time you have to deal with a hole that has sharp edges i throw it away. If a guy gets cut on that sharp edge what is the workers comp cost from a $50.00 part. The hopsital run for a few stitches and the limites use of the finger while recovering is way more then a few bucks for a knockout.

We have both Milwaukee and Greenlee. 99% of thr time my guys reach for the Milwaukee because its cordless and way faster than a screw or hydraulic. 15 years ago i bought a hydraulic and man was it awesome. 2 years ago I bought a cordless. 1 year ago I bought another vordless because when I wanted to use it they had the others out on jobs.

If you get a few hunded holes out of a knockout you are doing great. I figure 50 holes and i will replace it. The first time you have to deal with a hole that has sharp edges i throw it away. If a guy gets cut on that sharp edge what is the workers comp cost from a $50.00 part. The hopsital run for a few stitches and the limites use of the finger while recovering is way more then a few bucks for a knockout.

greenlee has an electric unit now.

greenlee has an electric unit now.
Yes they do. Their unit uses Makita batteries. We have Dewalt and Milwaukee cordless everything. So I couldn't justify spending more money on a non standard brand for our shop. Ive used them before on jobsites from other contractors. They worked fine. I just wanted the standardization of battery platforms.

We use Greenlee extensively. Have both hydraulic and hand-racket sets and found them both to work very reliably for years.

I've done hundreds of holes on my 1/2 die in mild steel. Honestly haven't been bothered by any sharp edges but maybe I'm not as observant. Only replace the dies if they break, which is very seldom and usually if abused.

Since I switched over to the plastic enclosures I have not used them much, I use a paddle bit, but I still have good old fashion screw type

I do remember when they came out with the hydraulic pump style, man I thought they were like gold back then

We have the old Greenlee hydraulic as well as the manual standard Greenlee and the flex head Greenlee, and we have 3 Milwaukee sets, and these days all that gets used is the Milwaukee sets and the flex head, Greenlee, because you can get it in places where nothing else will fit.

Above 50 strikes on any die is about time to start considering replacement if you want to keep clean holes and not fight with them in the field. The Milwaukee dies have held up well for us.

I have been using Greenlee for many years
If I were looking now I would look at the Slug Buster or the Slug Slitter series
I have several dies that I use they don’t make anymore
They all hold up well