FactoryTalk View error message

Sean Teague

I have uploaded a file from a panelview and i get a message when trying to restore it:

"This runtime application file was saved in a protected format that does not allow conversion to a developmental application."

The machine builder insists there was no password protection on it when they created it.

Is there any way around this?

What version is the runtime? old runtimes can't be converted, or its a pain. I want to say 4.0 and older can't be converted.

EDIT: Or when creating the runtime, there's an option to never allow conversion, they might of selected that if they're a machine builder and don't want the end user changing the screen.

Last edited:
What version is the runtime? old runtimes can't be converted, or its a pain. I want to say 4.0 and older can't be converted.

EDIT: Or when creating the runtime, there's an option to never allow conversion, they might of selected that if they're a machine builder and don't want the end user changing the screen.

I want to say v6 is where conversion became possible but I could be wrong about that. It's been a while.

Also, they could have disabled conversion accidentally on that particular runtime file. I'd ask them for the .apa file. If they don't mind you decompiling the mer, they should be ok with providing you with the source project.

I found out yesterday afternoon that they did indeed accidentally click the "never allow conversion" radio button when creating the runtime. The sent me the .apa file. All is good!

Thanks for your input.

And for clarification....

For computers with 32-bit operating systems the ability to convert runtime files to development files was added in version 5.1. For 64-bit systems it was added with version 6.0.

OG