FT Activation Manager Link Through VM

AMarks95

I'm able to connect FT Activation Manager in my VM to my host machine's license by adding my host IP to the activation path list. However, my host IP changes quite often.

Is there any way to link the FT Activation Manager on my VM to my host licenses without using the IP address, so I don't have to change it every time my host IP changes?

I created a "Host Only" virtual Connection and used that as my link between Host and VM for Activation. I'm using VMWare Workstation.
This is my go to method for VMs. On your host in the command prompt type ipconfig to see the IP of the host machine.

My application is slightly different because my host is a mac, therefore my activation manager is on a VM, not the host. If I need to share the activation with a different VM, I'm pointing one VM to another VM, not one VM to the host.

That said, I think my solution would still apply: use the computer name, not the IP address. That's the whole point of hostname and DNS resultion; to provide a static identifier with a potentially variable IP address.

I created a "Host Only" virtual Connection and used that as my link between Host and VM for Activation. I'm using VMWare Workstation.
Would this still allow the VM to connect to the internet? I also need the VM connected to the Internet because the PLC connection is via VPN on the VM.

Last edited:
Same here I always create a virtual adapter with DHCP and make the IP 10.11.12.x. Then the host licenses are always at [email protected]
How exactly would I do this? Is there a YouTube video that could help me? I'm familiar with adapters and IP addresses, but I don't know how to "create" an adapter. There's no option to create a virtual adapter in the control panel (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections)