Micro820 with G3 Valvebank

AB11122

Hello,

Currently working to integrate a Micro820 PLC (2080-LC20-20QWB) with a Numatics G32 valvebank. (240-325)
(https://www.airoil.com/uploads/assets/downloads/Numatics G3 Manual.pdf) We are using (2) 8-input signal blocks, and a 6-valve output setup.

CCW will not allow to add the valvebank as a module and I can't set it up as a generic module. I need this PLC and valvebank to talk to each other, but I am running into issues using the CIP messaging. Can't seem to find the right parameters or data types to allow the valvebank and PLC to communicate.

I've referenced this article (https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/2080-qs002_-en-e.pdf) but have not had any success.

When I try using CIPSymbolic messaging, I'm suspicious that my variable "A_SymCfg.Symbol" is not correct as this usually looks for tag data from another PLC and I don't have a tag to reference. I've tried entering the IP address but either this isn't possible, or my syntax isn't correct.

CIPGeneric hasn't been any better, and I have a doubt if this can really be used to read AND write I/O. I'm not experienced in this area so it's possible I'm just missing something.

Does anybody have any ideas how to set this up? Thank you in advance for your help.

Valvebank.jpg

I think this a common problem that's run into with the Micro800 series, yes it's E/IP, but doesn't support class 3 messaging like in RSlogix5000 or Studio5000 and the valvebank (it always seems to be valvebanks) only supports class 3 messaging.

Quickiest way to get this to work? Get the cheapest compactlogix PLC and use that instead of the Micro.

EDIT: Corrected Class 1 & 3

Thanks AB11122.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, and I think you are right except for the class 3 and class 1 are reversed. Due to the nature of the project, it's not really possible to swap out the PLC's. I'm left trying to find any available avenue to get these two devices to communicate with each other. Rockwell sold us on these PLC's and we've had great success with them elsewhere, this may be the one that bites us in the rear.

Thank you for the correction! I have had the same issues with SMC E/IP valvebanks. The fix unfortunately was to change PLCs to the smallest AB compactlogix.

Is there an intermediary CompLogix or CLX that can be connected to the valvebank? I am unsure of the project so I don't know if it's possible for you to do that.

Wish that there was that possibility, but unfortunately we can't add the intermediary PLC. Thanks for the input, as heartbreaking as it is! Haha!

The PLC seems capable of Modbus, but the valvebank does not. Our customer would have to purchase multiple Modbus-capable G3 valvebank communication modules to use Modbus protocol. (I think we would also have to change the switches on the various machine lines?)

Thanks for the responses...up for thinking of anything to make this work.

I'm not the original poster, but it does look like the G3 series has a MODBUS TCP version too, AB11122, would it be possible to switch out the valvebank?

Yes, it seems you have to specify the protocol at the time of order. I'm OK with the Ethernet/IP protocol, I'm more ****ed off at AB for marketing this PLC as fully capable for Ethernet/IP communications yet overlooking this glaring fault.

The communication diagnositcs could be going better. ;)

First, know that it's possible I'm making some mistake here with how I've set up MSG_CIPGENERIC. However, I feel like I've tried all of my options and cannot get any communication with the valvebank.
It appears as though the Micro820 is able to communicate via explicit messaging, but the valvebank is only capable of class 1 communications. At least, that's my best assumption right now.

Uploading the EDS file and the current settings of the parameters. I've tried all sorts of options for the various types of integer sizes and cannot get it to work. Any ideas?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Attachments

• G3EP0102s-20130301-120000.zip
    2 KB · Views: 1
Does something like Pycomm3 handle implicit messaging? It would be a Rube-Goldberg, but perhaps an intermediate system could transfer the data between the G3 and the Micro820, although by the time you got it going you might as well put all the logic into the system with Pycomm3?