Rockwell firmware upgrade (maybe). What would you do first?

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have come across a situation that could be in need of help.

Presently, they have an L71 running version 24.12, and they want to revise it upwards to another level. Attached is a variety of E/IP devices: drives and I/O.

So, what would you do first, and why?
A: Revise all the I/O devices as high as they can go - then - do the processor.
or
B: Revise the processor -then- do the I/O.

This is controlling a machine with limited (but regular) downtime, so risk-abatement is a high want.

I have a gut feeling how I would do it, but figured that someone here had the experience to have an opinion as well.

Thanks.

1) Backup project.
2) Reconfigure project for new version.
3) Flash firmware, download project.
4) Test. If it fails, revert to previous firmware and project.
5) ???
6) Profit!

In general, I would do the CPU first.

You aren't at risk of the old v20 and v21 sub-version conflicts, nor is an L7x ControlLogix CPU subject to a "you can go forward but never back" boot or base firmware issue.

I am also generally conservative on this sort of thing and would go to v33, one version below the latest.

Certainly check the PCDC and release notes to see if there's something specific to your I/O adapters or drives that you want to avoid.