Medar welding with ControlLogix

dleakey

I have a machine that is running a SLC 5/03 with medar/wtc welding cards in it. I need to upgrade it to CLX for motion control reasons. It is currently using ultra3000i drives, but I am out of index positions on a couple of axes. Do any of you have any experience with using medar cards in a remote SLC rack that is slaved to a CLX? I plan to use a 1756-DHRIO and a 1746-ASB for the COMMS. Any advice/comments appreciated.

I know this is a very old post, but I find myself in the same situation, wondering the same thing; 10 slot chassis with a Medar card and I need to migrate to logix to support some machine modification.

Has anyone run into this over the last 12 years?

Thx.

I haven't done that, but my preference would be to replace the SLC with a 1747-AENTR adapter and map the rack through Ethernet. Unless the CLX doesn't have an Ethernet card or port, in that case I would see if one CLX card could be 'moved' to an open port on the SLC rack and add an EN2T.

Yes, I was actually planning to do the same thing, but your reply points out that I was not as clear as I should have been. I'm wondering if I'll be able to run that Medar weld controller card with the CLX instead of the SLC. It *seems* like it should work since the card just maps words into the SLC (8 input words and 8 output words). I would hate to get into the retrofit and then discover that it won't work with the CLX.

I would hate to get into the retrofit and then discover that it won't work with the CLX.

I can't think of one command a SLC had that the CLX won't support.

As a trial run the SLC program through Rockwell's conversion utility and see if any command or routine is flagged as impossible - something I haven't ever encountered, but do check for on unusual setups like this.

Typically in most cases any 3rd party specialized modules that are not I/O Digital or Analog) must reside in the same chassis as the controller. This applied to PLC 5, SLC, ETC.

At a previous employer, we used the Rockwell hydraulic cards for controllogix on our winders which were part of much larger Stenter ovens and we could have used the controller for it all but the winder was physically 1200 feet from the main cabinet with the controller and the controller could not be moved for other reasons so we had to spec a second processor in the winder controls section just for the winder controls so that the hydraulic cards were in the same chassis as the controller that owned or controlled them.

You would likely need to verify this from the medar cards manual.