New Laptop what a operating system? for Rockwell Software?

Bonemarrow

Does Rslinx, rs500, rs5000, studio5000, have drivers for Windows 11 pro. I'm in need of a new laptop for programming with all of this software. I want to know yes go with win 11 pro or to stay with win 10 pro. Thank you for your reply.

Check out the The Product Compatibility and Download Center (PCDC) on the Rockwell website to see what software versions support which operating systems. Studio 5000 V34, which was just recently released, does not officially support Windows 11, so i doubt any of Rockwell's software does. Just because the software is not officially supported, doesn't mean it won't work. It just means if there are any issues, Rockwell will blame the unsupported OS and not assist you in resolving the issues.

If you really want Windows 11, I would install your Rockwell software on a VMware Workstation virtual machine with Windows 10 installed. This is officially supported.

I ordered new laptops a few months back for a class I was teaching and I ordered them with Windows 11. Then I installed VMware Workstation and I ran my existing virtual machines with Windows 10. That is pretty much the standard method I've used (and I'm sure many others here too) for years whenever a new O/S rolls out.

Rockwell is always a few beats behind on supporting the latest operating systems, though their software almost always works on a new O/S.

Their newest version of FT View does support W11. I don't know that anything else officially supports it. But there really isn't any reason I would suspect that it wouldn't work.

OG

I ordered new laptops a few months back for a class I was teaching and I ordered them with Windows 11. Then I installed VMware Workstation and I ran my existing virtual machines with Windows 10. That is pretty much the standard method I've used (and I'm sure many others here too) for years whenever a new O/S rolls out.

Rockwell is always a few beats behind on supporting the latest operating systems, though their software almost always works on a new O/S.

Their newest version of FT View does support W11. I don't know that anything else officially supports it. But there really isn't any reason I would suspect that it wouldn't work.

OG
+1. VMs are so much easier to backup and move to another computer if the host crashes.

+1. VMs are so much easier to backup and move to another computer if the host crashes.

And to revert back to a previous snapshot if a version upgrade or install goes bad. Make use of the auto-protect snapshots at least on a daily basis as they will save your bacon at some point.

I also use Backblaze to back up my files from my host and each of my VMs and use ShadowProtect to image my host and my VMs daily.

Running RSLinx v4.3, RSLogix 500 v12, FT View v13, RSLogix 5K v 20.05, a smattering of Studio 5K versions, and VWware for my old RSLogix 5 stuff, all with no issues whatsoever.
I like Win 11 after I changed it so the "start" button is on the left instead of center. Not having text when you right click but only icons (cut, copy, paste) took a bit of getting used to. I've yet to find a short method to get to network settings to change IP, but I mostly use Netsetman so that's not a huge issue.
Personally, I'd go with 11.

Are you serious? The "computers for the illiterate" curse of Steven Jobs lives on?

It is fairly prevalent in windows 11. Lots of icons only with no subtext. It definitely took some getting used to when I updated. I very much dislike how software companies are trying to push iphone'esque interfaces to laptop/desktop computing.

It is fairly prevalent in windows 11. Lots of icons only with no subtext. It definitely took some getting used to when I updated. I very much dislike how software companies are trying to push iphone'esque interfaces to laptop/desktop computing.

I also hate this, noticed it was really starting to take off with Windows 10. Stuff like referring to programs as "apps" and obfuscating functionality to the benefit of less experienced users and to the detriment of power users. Windows 7 was a great balance of user-friendly and functional in my opinion.

Are you serious? The "computers for the illiterate" curse of Steven Jobs lives on?
This is what it looks like. Note that I am running the dark theme, and that my mouse is over the delete icon so it does at least pop up a helpful description of what that icons means. Cut, copy, and delete are fairly obvious, but rename (middle icon) and share (second from right) weren't as obvious to me.

screenshot.jpg

1. You want to purchase and install VMWare Workstation Pro and run your AB software in there. My recommendation would be to setup a clean VM of the OS of your choice, store that on an external drive if need be. Then just copy that however many times over and install the software you need on it. I have one VM acting as a license server, one VM for CCW, one VM with RS500, Studio 5000, FTVSME.

2. I have always used Windows Server 2012 R2 for my VM OS and it has been nothing short of excellent. I recently setup a VM with Server 2019 and Studio 5000 and FTVSME and launching and using those programs was considerably slower then it is on 2012 R2. Just for fun I setup a VM with Server 2016 to see if that was any better and the results were the same, so i stuck with Server 2012 R2.

And for anyone considering using VMs, a server operating system is not required to use virtual machines. It may be JZerb's preference (and I'm sure others too), but it is not required.

OG

Eventually everything will look like a bad MAZAK control panel.

Nothing but symbols that mean things that don't relate to the symbol, but you don't know exactly what they mean, but you're supposed to, because nothing happens when you push it.... but you know somewhere, something, just broke....