NEMA vs ANSI vs IEEE Symbols

aiki202

Looking for some explanation/history between North American electrical symbols standards (how they relate, what are the latest, what is the official name, what standard references what standard, etc.) between...

NEMA - I believe this reference is incorrect, even though very common

ANSI Y32.2

IEEE 315

NFPA 79 - Appears to reference the ANSI and IEEE 315 standards

JIC (Joint Industrial Council) - Long gone

Others?

I would throw ISA 5.1 in there for process equipment. I don't think too many electrical guys are sitting around making P&ID drawings, but we do need to know how to read them. The ISA 101 standard is making them fairly common, and I know some places do have to make loop drawings and the like that reference to the P&ID drawings.

American industry was dominated by for decades by the “Big 3” auto companies. Almost by default their standard’s were used by many other industries. The JSA was kind of an offshoot of these automotive standards.

I believe the NFPA and NEMA symbols are heavenly influenced by the JSA standards.

As foreign companies began to show up here and USA companies’ dominance began to wane IEC symbols and standards became more prevalent.

Personally, I don’t like the IEC drawing & symbol standards.

American industry was dominated by for decades by the “Big 3” auto companies. Almost by default their standard’s were used by many other industries. The JSA was kind of an offshoot of these automotive standards.

I believe the NFPA and NEMA symbols are heavenly influenced by the JSA standards.

As foreign companies began to show up here and USA companies’ dominance began to wane IEC symbols and standards became more prevalent.

Personally, I don’t like the IEC drawing & symbol standards.

Agree, I prefer the NFPA standard myself. It should be noted that the "Big 3" auto companies now use IEC symbols, but NFPA drawing standards (left to right, top to bottom as opposed to top to bottom left to right) The NFPA allows IEC conventions in North America only if the customer consents.