Are there controls jobs that don't take 50+ hours every week?

Ok i see.
I understand on the electrician end how this is not allowed. How about machine specific work? Or should i say anything after the disconnect/main CB, on any particular machine or system. Mainly under 125A machines.

You can run a power cord from your machine into a service disconnect, conduit no. And Sealtite would be a grey area here. Just make sure you don't take any shortcuts and make it look professional.

Once the power is in your machine (distribution block or disconnect) then it's all yours.

One thing about the union shops I go into is their electrician runs ALL power, even connects your power cable into his service disconnect, all you have to do is sit around 3 or 4 hours for him to show up and do it.

One thing about the union shops I go into is their electrician runs ALL power, even connects your power cable into his service disconnect, all you have to do is sit around 3 or 4 hours for him to show up and do it.

I don't work in many union shops, but this is my experience as well.
Power and air are dropped and hooked up by pipefitters or electricians.

Working as a design engineer for an OEM you get no after hour or weekend calls.
But during crunch time when the tool is 6 months behind schedule you will work extra for sure

Hello all,

I love programming PLC's and am very thankful for my job.

That being said, I am finding is impossible to work 40 hours per week in this industry. It seems like with how quickly every general contractor needs the program / OIT / SCADA completed, I end up working lots of weekends and evenings, and I feel that given my age, I'm not sure how long I will be able to work at that kind of pace all the time.

Are there any fields / specialized positions in our industry where we work regular 40 hour weeks and don't have to work those 50, 60, 70+ hour weeks from time to time?

I will keep looking until I find something in line with my goals. I like all programming so maybe I could transition to something not controls-related, but maybe some other type of automation.

Thank you!

I hear you!
Especially when young workers like to boast about he/she can finish the project in 2 hours, actually they would work overtime to get it done, or not complete. Managers would give all other workers pressure to do it faster.

Hello all,

I love programming PLC's and am very thankful for my job.

That being said, I am finding is impossible to work 40 hours per week in this industry. It seems like with how quickly every general contractor needs the program / OIT / SCADA completed, I end up working lots of weekends and evenings, and I feel that given my age, I'm not sure how long I will be able to work at that kind of pace all the time.

Are there any fields / specialized positions in our industry where we work regular 40 hour weeks and don't have to work those 50, 60, 70+ hour weeks from time to time?

I will keep looking until I find something in line with my goals. I like all programming so maybe I could transition to something not controls-related, but maybe some other type of automation.

Thank you!

If you can get a job at GM, Ford or other automotive company. You might have a decent position there. Controls Engineers are in between office and unionized techs. If you are asked to work overtime or weekends, you will get overtime pay, so they don't want you to work overtime. I know many controls engineers only work 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week. Control engineers have to do upgrade or modification or troubleshooting. New complete projects are all contracted to other companies, you would supervise the contract companies.

I work 37½ hours per week. I do put in approx. 40-45 hours though.
When I started in the company I travelled and worked much more, 120+ days per year. Now more like 30 days per year.
I do respond to emergency support from customers, also when at home.
I have 5 weeks mandatory undisturbed holiday per year (work phone is off).

The difference is if you get paid or not for those excessive hours, and for the calls on off-duty time. If it is implied that 'it is part of the job' and 'you get paid a great salary already' then management will simply put more and more on your shoulders, they will never stop. Why should they as long as you comply. We have to stand together comrades.

You are in Europe, right?
Lucky you.

Raw deal

Lest we forget, you typically become victim to own success. I would suggest that any of the folks in this thread talking about late hours and support calls, are all in good worth of their salt. Control systems / system integration is a fickle mistress, and I would also suggest, beyond folks here on forums such as this, its not talked about to the generations to come. As I mentioned before, there is a price to pay, you have to judge yourself to see if you are willing to pay it or not. But be careful, as your family also pays a price as well, depending on the stage of life you are at.

[responding to my post]
You are in Europe, right?
Lucky you.
Yes.

Being in Europe does not mean you will not be overworked. It is sometimes up to one self to put down your foot.
In my previous job, it was kinda implied that grinding hard was part of the job, pleas to getting more help were simply ignored.
We were a 4-man team, that was down to 3 for approx a year, with no relief in sight. I and the others were slowly being worn down.
We all quit one by one, and only then did management wake up to the situation. When I checked back after a year or so, they were 7 men plus a manager.

I learned a lot from that job, but I would have come down with a nervous breakdown of I hadn't quit it. That was 27 years ago.

[responding to my post]
It is sometimes up to one self to put down your foot.

This is exactly right, there is only one person that will look out for you and that is yourself.

I have watched to many colleagues go down with stress, simply from being overworked, and not able to say stop.

I love what I do and have fun doing it, but I have some ground rules about how much sleep I need (with my phone is in another room, so I can’t hear it) and I stick to it 😊

WAS (working for others).... 5-7 days a week, 12hrs a day, plus a one hour drive each way, two weeks vacation and worked through another 3 weeks a year and got paid for it.

NOW (working for myself)... 7 days a week, 10-12hrs a day, 5 min drive, off Thanksgiving week and Christmas

Just glad I enjoy what I am doing, when you own your own business you don't have much of a choice, if there is work to do you have to do it.

I would rather work 90 hour weeks for myself than 40 hour weeks for someone else.

They do exist. I (finally) have one (sort of).

I used to work 60 hour weeks regularly. Saturdays were expected. If it was close to time for a machine to be finished - you could expect to spend the week + weekend working 12 hours until it was done. If it ran behind, it would roll into the next week, etc.

Now, I do mostly designs for a process company. I'm the only 'electrical' guy in the shop - I work with a lot of mechanical engineers. The advantage (and disadvantage) is that no one really knows what I do. I'm on an island, and some times I work a whole lot and sometimes I hardly work at all. I average about 40 hours a week, and our systems are simple enough that if I really needed to, I could program one in a day or two.

"Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm."

"Graveyards are full of irreplaceable people."

"They'll post your job before you even reach the morgue."

Some quote for you folks to chew on.

"No one can take advantage of you without your permission."

"There are only two good jobs: your last one, and your next one."

"Nine women can't have a baby in a month." (Brook's Law)

Ok i see.
I understand on the electrician end how this is not allowed. How about machine specific work? Or should i say anything after the disconnect/main CB, on any particular machine or system. Mainly under 125A machines.

I am not an electrician, but to me bus plugs are dangerous, i have done a few, years and years ago and didn't like it one bit. Yes it was physically easy, but the flash risk and explosion was always my concern.

You bet buss plugs are dangerous, if you ware referring to outlets installed on buss duct.
In a previous job, we had an employee that plugged in a 480V/100A bus plug and it was wired wrong... 1 of the hot leads was wired incorrectly to ground.
The buss duct was at about waist level, and he got all sorts of shrapnel damage when the 100A Appleton plug blew apart when he turned on the 100A switch on the buss plug unit.

You bet buss plugs are dangerous, if you ware referring to outlets installed on buss duct.
In a previous job, we had an employee that plugged in a 480V/100A bus plug and it was wired wrong... 1 of the hot leads was wired incorrectly to ground.
The buss duct was at about waist level, and he got all sorts of shrapnel damage when the 100A Appleton plug blew apart when he turned on the 100A switch on the buss plug unit.

Yes thats exactly one way it can happen.
Very rarely are the ducts deenergized as well.
Plus your normally up on a lift with nowhere to duck and dodge anything.