Machine DownTime

KISS.

Record Wallclock time @ start of downtime, record wallclock time @ end of downtime.

Compare to get the difference, some great Date Time tools in the sample library, one specifically does what you want.

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...ads/application-code-library/sample-code.html

+1 for KISS

One shot to record the start time and the end time. Subtract start from end and add that value to the pre-existing down time. Provide some mechanism to set the down time to zero, or hang on to daily, weekly, or monthly down time.

This will give you a microsecond value. There are some Add On Instructions for converting to HH:MM:SS if you want to do that.

Start thinking about how you will spend the big raise you will get. :D

You will have fun doing this project. We implemented a system like this in a large Chrysler parts machining plant 30 years ago. Getting the cycle start, cycle stop, cycle time, downtime, etc. to work was quite a bit more work than anyone wanted to admit. No one agreed with how things were being done. By no one I mean production, engineering, IT, maintenance, & the union.

We worked for a system integrator for Chrysler’s corporate IT department out of Detroit and they fought tool & nail with the local plant people. Of course, we were caught in the middle trying to get access to the machines, getting blamed for screwing up the PLC programs, etc. We would have a program working ok and come back a few days later to find maintenance had reloaded an old program.

This was back in early 1990’s and many PLC’s still used the tape cartridges. Program version control was still a pipe dream.

All numbers were stored in the PLC and pushed up to a large data concentrator PC. Monitors running Windows 2.0 (yes, 2.0) displayed the results.

You might think that all of these displays would be uniform, but no! We found out that monitors in dept. A should not be displayed in dept. B because if B was down then dept. A would slow down their production knowing that Dept. B couldn’t handle the flow.

Two years our of my life but worked a lot of OT.

Another consideration is some Downtime events could cause others that aren't legitimate. Conveyor Y stops due to fault, Conveyor X Stops due to Y stopping. X isn't really downed, just stopped by permissive. Prioritize downtime events to lock out following ones that aren't to be considered as a down stream device failed.