Omron CXOne: Convert "Channel" Variable to RSLogix 500 Data Type

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm working with a customer to copy one of the machines they designed in-house several years ago. The previous PLC programmer had a thing for Omron PLCs, but now they want to use a Micrologix 1400 on the copy. I have the software on my laptop to help, but exposure to Omron has been limited to troubleshooting. I'm working through the learning curve. To start, I'm going through the "Symbols" in the Omron PLC and creating Allen Bradley variables to match, using importing and exporting an Excel .CSV file. I've completed the I/O, the Bits, and Timers. I've hit a speed bump on the "D" values. I'm not quite sure how to tackle that. The manual is not clear, other than saying the "channel" variable is there to accommodate legacy programs. Do you have any insight on how I should approach these "D" values?

Channel.png

I guess I should ask the question a different way...

If I see an "N" value in RSLogix 500, I know there is no decimal point in that value. I need to choose between using an "N" value or a "F" (Float) when converting the Channel datatype from Omron to RSLogix 500. Is there anything intrinsic in the "D" datatype that would point in one direction or the other?

Be cautious. "D" in Omronese simply refers to a data location. As an example Omron Timers can be either Hex or BCD, therefore you would enter the data as either #000E = Hex or #0014 = BCD when assigning a timer setpoint.

It looks like the original programmer has given you some hints, all of the numbers in parentheses ie: (&5) appear to be showing you the decimal equivalents of the data contained at the location.

You can use the CX-programmer native cross reference function to find where the individual data locations are being used. This will allow you to see what instructions are using that data location and you can determine what format is required.

Unlike AB, Omron does not lock a data type to a specific location (B,N, etc). It makes for a great deal of flexability but can get pretty confusing if you are used to a more rigid structure.

Be cautious. "D" in Omronese simply refers to a data location. As an example Omron Timers can be either Hex or BCD, therefore you would enter the data as either #000E = Hex or #0014 = BCD when assigning a timer setpoint.

It looks like the original programmer has given you some hints, all of the numbers in parentheses ie: (&5) appear to be showing you the decimal equivalents of the data contained at the location.

You can use the CX-programmer native cross reference function to find where the individual data locations are being used. This will allow you to see what instructions are using that data location and you can determine what format is required.

Unlike AB, Omron does not lock a data type to a specific location (B,N, etc). It makes for a great deal of flexability but can get pretty confusing if you are used to a more rigid structure.

Ok... I found the cross reference function, and I generated a report on a PDF. Looking at where the values are being used, it's all related to time. I don't think this machine has an HMI, so I wouldn't think the values need to be changed. I'm still wrapping my head around the way the timers are setup, but I'm guessing the values would be saved in the timer variables in Logix 500. I haven't started converting the ladder logic yet. I've been just working on the tags.

Thanks!

You're welcome.

Quick rundown on Omron timers:

TIM - 100mSec timebase (setpoint 5 = 0.5sec)
TIMH - 10mSec timebase (setpoint 5 = 0.05sec)
TIMHH - 1mSec timebase (setpoint 5 = 0.005sec)

These timers have their respective setpoints applied in BCD.
If the timer is using binary (Hex) they would read as:

TIMX
TIMHX
TIMHHX

CX-Programmer has a listing of these and some of the less commonly used timing instructions available in a manner similar to RS500/5K.

CHANNEL is indiscriminate. Just a value. It could be INT, UINT, HEX, BCD or anything else. It is funny - I love the open structure of Omron - it is not restrictive at all. Nothing basically gets locked up into restricted areas of the processor - you can do what you want basically.

D is just a register. Nothing else. D is also memory retentive.

With respect to timers if using TIM, TIMH etc they are BCD timers. If using TIMX, TIMHX they are binary timers. Decimal for want of a better word.

In many Omron processors it is possible to use decimal and BCD timers in the program.

If you see # in front of something it is HEX or BCD. If you see & in front of something it is decimal.

Most programmers I know are not used to the extreme amount of flexibility Omron offers.

Good luck - come back if there is something specific you want to know.

This often is a stumbling block in conversion, for example most timer values in legacy products are either decimal or BCD, the newer IEC standard uses a data type of T#xxx(s,ms) so for example T#200ms is the same as K2 decimal in Mitsubishi (K20 refers to a timer with a time base of 100ms) in that platform it converts to actual milliseconds. Most of these are 16 bit values.