Plc Communication Driver

ready961

HELLO
DO TO THE FACT THAT I AM A NOVIST AT PLCS I BOUGHT THIS ON EBAY (PLEASE SEE LINK) THINKING THIS WAS A PROGRAM TO REPROGRAM A WORKING C20K OMRON PLC I HAVE IN A MACHINE. I CANT SEEM TO MAKE THIS WORK. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS FOR AND HOW IT WORKS?

THANKS

Looks to me like you bought an ActiveX control that allows you to read and write data between a PC and an Omron PLC. This sort of control typically gets used in roll-your-own HMIs. It does not allow you to monitor or modify an existing PLC program, nor does it allow you to create a new ladder program.

If you're lucky, the guy who listed it will take it back, since it's not what you really wanted. However, he's under no legal obligation to do so. His blurb makes no claim that he's offering programming software.

HMI stands for Human-Machine Interface. It refers to stand-alone hardware or software running on a PC that lets an person visualize the operation of a machine or process.

There are dozens of commercial software offerings available with a wide variety of features and covering a huge price range. At the low end, an HMI can be a simple message display. Moving slightly up the price ladder, you can get pushbutton-replacer HMIs. These can range from under $500 to several thousand dollars depending on screen size and features. Software packages running on a PC give you all the capabilities of the hardware options, plus the the ability to store the data from the PLC to the hard drive.

One of the FAQs here can be paraphrased as: "I'm trying to write a simple HMI screen using Visual Basic. Please help me understand how my PC can communicate with a (your brand here) PLC". You just bought an inexpensive driver for Omron that will do that.

SO I BOUGHT SOMETHING THAT ALLOWS ME TO MAKE PROGRAM THAT LETS ME VISUALIZE THE OPERATION OF A OMRON PLC?

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO SO FAR, ITS BEEN VERY HELPFUL

It's not really about visualizing the operation of the Omron PLC. It allows you to visualize the operation of the machine that the Omron PLC is controlling.

You do this by reading selected information in the Omron PLC. Information like timer and counter accumulator and preset values, input and output status, analog values, etc. This is information that the PLC uses to control the machine.

You can also use the driver to do things like change the preset values of timers and counters.

If you want to re-program the PLC, you will need Syswin and an Omron proprietary interface to plug on the front on the PLC. Old, expensive and not worth it.
Suggest you replace the PLC with the Omron CPM1A or CPM2A and use Cx-Programmer.
beerchug