EthernetIP Higher Speeds

CroCop

How would one go about getting EthernetIP to operate at higher speeds without clogging the network?

I've got some I/O blocks I would like to run as quick as possible, so if anyone has a manual or info to share, I'd appreciate it.

Marc

LadderLogic said:
Just separate the networks. Get another Ethernet module for the PLC or go with more expensive managed Ethernet switch.

I'm trying to keep costs down, as always, management wants the best for next to nothing.

I was wondering if there was a rule of thumb with RPI or what not, any tricks of the trade, per say.

imho that's not an argument. extra ethernet switch doesn't cost an arm and leg...
small 5 or 8 port industrial ethernet switches, din-rail mountable
are only $100-200.
similar Soho products are only $10-20...
1000' ethernet cable is only some $20. i'm sure this would be OK'd...

Last edited:
Switches never been a bottleneck by themself.

I/O traffic clogs the network because it uses multicast and this traffic goes to every port on the switch.
Use VLAN or IGMP snooping to isolate it.

Here is a simple calculation: 1ms RPI will produce 2000 packet/second, 10ms RPI - 200 packets, 100ms - 20 packets/sec.

Also 1756-ENBT has a maximum 5000 packet/sec capacity.

Really if you need a deterministic and fast i/o, you should use controlnet

i agree about controlnet but if i had to stick with ethernet and speed was concern, i would always prefer separate (hardware) network over solutions like virtual LAN etc. keep it simple. one thing with lan is that there will always be more and more nodes (and possible problems).

panic mode said:
small 5 or 8 port industrial ethernet switches, din-rail mountable
are only $100-200.

However, a managed switch would probably set you off for $500-$600. That is what I meant by "more expensive".

A regular, unmanaged switch ain't going to help much.

LadderLogic said:
However, a managed switch would probably set you off for $500-$600. That is what I meant by "more expensive".

A regular, unmanaged switch ain't going to help much.

Do you have a reccomendation for a specific managed switch?

There have been a few recent threads on this, so do a search (here's a good one). That said, I really like the Moxa range of managed switches - inexpensive, robust, really easy to configure in a redundant network, with Westmo a close second for some applications.

check 9300-8EDM from rockwell
it can be added in i/o configuration for diagnostic and port control.
n-tron 500 series is not bad

Binaural said:
There have been a few recent threads on this, so do a search (here's a good one). That said, I really like the Moxa range of managed switches - inexpensive, robust, really easy to configure in a redundant network, with Westmo a close second for some applications.

Thank you. Found exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks all.

9300-8ED was released few months ago - they shipping it now.

I have one - this is a 8 port managed switch with optional fiber connector. You can add it in I/O configuration of Rslogix5000

From the picture of the 9300-8EDM I cannot tell. Does it have screw terminals for the power or do you have to use a recepticle plug?