Where will they put PLC's next?

darrenj said:
There was a Job that was tendered by the military up here in Canada to retrofit a couple of friggits, All the navigation/propulsion was done by modicon PLC,

That was last year...D

Darren
had to chuckle
must ensure you are using correct terminology

FRIGGITT example "no friggin in the riggin". I suppose the term as used by the average US Navy sailor could apply to whatever ship he was on regardless of type. A closely related term used by most sailors is FxxK
as in
SNAFU Situation Normal All Fxxked UP(actually a Marine Corps term)
FUBAR US Navy Fxxd Up Beyond All Reality
Probably not the most societally acceptable term -- in USA not "PC"

FRIGATE Term that stems back to the sailing ship days (you know ships of wood sailed by men of iron).
Anyway a modern frigate probably falls in size and armament wise between a destroyer and a cruiser.

Dan Bentler

The US Navy uses ControlLogix controllers for some tasks on CVN65 and CVN70. Fuel storage, ballast, freshwater storage, wastewater treatment, etc. I've seen ControlLogix and DeviceNet used on some large luxury motor yachts for similar purposes. Crowley Maritime has MicroLogix 1500's in some of their large harbor tugs, with PanelView 600's up in the pilot houses.

Logix is going to help steer and trim a jet car trying for the landspeed record next year. MicroLogix 1000 was performing some onboard engine monitoring (along with Data-Linc radios) on the Miss Elam Plus unlimited hydroplane a few years ago.

I've seen PLC's offshore in the Gulf, underneath thousands of feet of Chinese coal mine shaft, on the northmost icy shores of Alaska, and opening the roof on a clear July day to let the sun in on the baseball fans at Safeco Field.

But mostly, lately, I've been working on sewage treatment. I guess it's recession-proof.

Ken Roach said:
Crowley Maritime has MicroLogix 1500's in some of their large harbor tugs, with PanelView 600's up in the pilot houses.

I noticed Panelviews on the tug boats on the History Channel's Modern Marvels show.

I was recently contacted by a gentleman who drag races alcohol fueled motor cycles. He wanted me to program an onboard PLC to control the rate of fuel flow into the engine. The sanctioning body forbids the use of a microprocessor, however many of his competitors are connection their laptops to their bikes when they make adjustments. Sounds like PLC's are already being used there.

Let's see...

We have customer's currently developing with our controllers for:

- Golf course irregation
- Boat lift
- Soldering Machine
- Mobile Water Purification System
- Movie Theater Automation
- Chiropractic Table
- Inventory retrieval system
- Industrial / Commercial Furnace
- Tire applicator for car wash
- Catamaran Boat Manufacturer
- Automated Bartender

These don't include your typical PLC applications that everyone is familiar with, not to mention some of the really cool applications that I can't mention.

You never know what a potential customer will ask for. That's what makes this industry so exciting.

God Bless,

Lowrance electronics (sonar/GPS) have introduced LowranceNet, based on CAN (DeviceNet). This technology has evidently been in use on yachts for a number of years now, so Lowrance is introducing it for the bass boat market. Several of the larger bass boat manufacturers have committed to installing the network backbone (cabling with tees) in future models. The next generation sonars/gps units from Lowrance will enable customers to buy various sensors with connectors for about $50.00 each and connect to the network. The idea is to eliminate engine gauges with these sensors for display on the sonar units, as well as introducing some not so common sensors for stuff like livewell temp monitoring.

One of AB's encompass partneres supplies modules that provide GPS information to the processor. The modules provide the exact time as well as some modules also provide position information.
http://www.hiprom.com/products.htm

Here is a tractor with a PLC and a GPS, but the link is RS-232.
http://asae.frymulti.com/abstract.asp?aid=10006&t=2
Farm tractors are one area where there would be an incentive for an inrack GPS solution due to size and vibration concerns.

KMG said:
I was recently contacted by a gentleman who drag races alcohol fueled motor cycles. He wanted me to program an onboard PLC to control the rate of fuel flow into the engine. The sanctioning body forbids the use of a microprocessor, however many of his competitors are connection their laptops to their bikes when they make adjustments. Sounds like PLC's are already being used there.

Look deeply enough and all of those devices you mentioned have some type of microprocessor.

leitmotif said:
Darren
had to chuckle
must ensure you are using correct terminology

FRIGGITT example "no friggin in the riggin". I suppose the term as used by the average US Navy sailor could apply to whatever ship he was on regardless of type. A closely related term used by most sailors is FxxK
as in
SNAFU Situation Normal All Fxxked UP(actually a Marine Corps term)
FUBAR US Navy Fxxd Up Beyond All Reality
Probably not the most societally acceptable term -- in USA not "PC"

FRIGATE Term that stems back to the sailing ship days (you know ships of wood sailed by men of iron).
Anyway a modern frigate probably falls in size and armament wise between a destroyer and a cruiser.

Dan Bentler

LOL Dan you are right..it was a typo..however..if you were Canadaian you would know what sad state our "Navy" is in..We often say "god damn it those friggin boats need another million bucks to keep them afloat"..so my typo wasnt that far off!!..we wont get into the damn helicopters we have...as for FUBAR.I think that is global!..just like NFG...(No F**KING GOOD).

Peter..you may right it might have been navigation control rather than just navigation..it was last year and i didnt even look at the project..it was out of my leauge..however i didnt say in my last post it was a retrofit..they were taking out 984 series processors to replace with quantum...so they had been on board for quite a few years..

D

Darren

Glad to give you a grin -- typos are innocent and can be a lot of fun.
A million to keep your boats afloat?
What are you complaining about - maybe we should take lessons from you.
When I worked at Bremerton seemed like that was dang near the cost to put em in the drydock.

Dan Bentler

I worked in a project where a plc controlled the keel in a boat.. that was a very intressting usage area for a PLC..