Raspberry Pi and Codesys

Kris M.

Hello, everyone. My supervisor recently purchased a Raspberry Pi and was curious about loading Codesys onto it for practice in the different programming styles the software has to offer. He purchased CODESYS Control for Raspberry Pi SL 2.2.0.1. He received a .package file that he executed, which installed the program and other files onto the Raspberry Pi. He was not able to find an executable file that he could open that would start Codesys and allow him to begin playing with the software. I was then tasked with figuring out how to use it.

I'm not a Linux guy, so I am very much in the dark about this. A post from a Raspberry Pi forum mentioned that Codesys on the Pi runs only in the background and that I'd need developer software on a Windows based machince, "point" the developer comuter to the Pi, compile the program, and then "send" it to the Pi. Here's a link to the post and the post itself;

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=507270

by DWomack » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:26 pm
Just like you can download images for Raspbian from this web site, you have to download an image from the CoDeSys store site.

They have it preinstalled in a Raspbian image.

CoDeSys runs as a daemon in the background. It starts automatically when the Pi boots. You have to run the development software on a Windows machine and point it to the Pi. There you develop your program and the visualization that runs as a web page put out by the Pi. When your program compiles cleanly you tell the development tool to go online. It then downloads the program to CoDeSys running on the Pi. It will let you download most program changes on the fly.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

If anyone can help me to understand this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Welcome to the forum!

The package that your boss installed on the Raspberry Pi is like the operating system on a regular PLC. You still need software to program your PLC. You would get this from the same place you got the package from. Most likely the CoDeSys store at the 3S web site:
http://store.codesys.com/engineering/codesys.html

So you develop the program on a windows PC/Laptop and you download it to the Raspberry Pi to run.

There is a forum dedicated solely to CoDeSys:
forum.codesys.com

And they have a section devoted to the Raspberry Pi.

Once you download the CoDeSys development softare, you have to add the Raspberry Pi target to you system. This link is helpful:
http://forum.codesys.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6345

Have Fun!

The latest version of Codesys make it easier then people think. This is what threw me when I started to play with mine. Once you install the development environment on your windows laptop/desktop, open Codesys, then go to Tools -> Update Raspberry Pi. You'll have to get it on the same network and enter the IP address of it. But Codesys should find it, at that point it will automatically install the Codesys runtime package to it.

It runs in the background of a PI that already has an operating system on it. You don't have to interface directly with the PI at all.

It's neat to use this, but you really need some switches and leds to use the GPIO as real-world inputs and outputs. So probably buy an IO extension kit that includes the cable, board for a bread board and some LEDs. If you want to control actual 24V IO, then you'd need additional relay boards and/or stand alone relays for the input side.

I might try to use it to create IO for testing 'real' equipment. Otherwise the simulation mode of Codesys does a pretty good job by itself for verifying code and such.

Last edited: