Alarm Paging from ControlLogix to SMS

sanger

I am looking for possible solutions for an alarm paging system that would meet the following requirements.

- Alarm source is a 1756-L71 Processor (no serial port).
- Alarm messages need to be sent to cellular phone.
- No connection of the plant system to the Internet or office network is permitted so the messages would need to be sent via a stand-alone GSM Gateway. I would prefer to avoid using a dial-modem connection for sending SMS messages since it has been my experience that network providers are not giving priority to high availability of the dial-up lines.
- Ideally the recipient should be able to acknowledge individual alarms remotely.

HIPROM had a couple of nice in-rack GSM solutions but they are all discontinued. The closest thing I have seen is Prosoft's SMS Plug-in Module (ILX800 SMSG) however it is for the Micro800 only. I have not seen an equivalent for the ControlLogix. One option would be to use a Micro800 process and GSM module as a dedicated alarm paging system and connect it to the ControlLogix with ethernet.

Looking for any other suggestions.

My first instinct is to reach for a Red Lion Data Station Plus, which has a [cellular module](http://www.redlion.net/product/xchspa-cellular-modem-option-card) that allows it to send and receive SMS messages.

As far as I know it's not purpose-built as an alarm handler, though.

There are several Red Lion programming experts here on the Forum and maybe one of them can give you pointers or examples on SMS messaging with that unit.

ProSoft wireless and Red Lion Controls both offer such functionality. As well as reverse (sending a text to the device to disable said alarm).

bump an old thread. I don't see a cell card option for Data Station Plus anymore.

We are looking for a notification system for customers. Since our customer's data (phone #, etc) will be needed and we have crazy strict compliance requirement for customer info that means that any cloud based solution such as e W o n or Stridelinx is out.

Win911 is an option but I really not liking the new version plus I need a Windows system to run it. So I look around on Redlion and Prosoft but not seeing a direct solution offered. Any suggestions?

bump an old thread. I don't see a cell card option for Data Station Plus anymore.

We are looking for a notification system for customers. Since our customer's data (phone #, etc) will be needed and we have crazy strict compliance requirement for customer info that means that any cloud based solution such as e W o n or Stridelinx is out.

Win911 is an option but I really not liking the new version plus I need a Windows system to run it. So I look around on Redlion and Prosoft but not seeing a direct solution offered. Any suggestions?

I use the email capability along with some tags and programs in Red Lion HMIs to send alerts that end up as text messages, but I do it through a Stridelinx VPN router. I relay them through a service for authentication (AuthSMTP). This lets the authorized end user of the HMI enter a phone number, select a carrier from a list, and add a nickname to populate a list of alert recipients that can be turned on and off to match their work schedule. The router doesn't directly require any personal info except for the users who are authorized to access it to remote view the HMI or PLC and they are there by invite only, so it is quite secure. All the personal info in the HMI tags is a phone number and carrier, (the nickname I add for convenience) but if they want to get alerts, the contact info has to be accessed by some system somewhere.

I have in the past shared an example Crimson file with the bits and pieces already there, but the details will have to change to match your email provider to make this work for you. That set up has been working for us for over 6 years now without me having to become an IT guru or set up our own email server, and the Stridelinx VPN router is so easy to configure, it takes about 5 minutes and we're done.

I really like the Ignition Alarm Notification and Voice Module too. We have a couple of customers using the Voice Module and it is great for locations with good landlines who need a real phone to ring in the middle of the night should something go wrong at a plant. It runs on a computer though, with all those potential headaches, and would only be optimal if you are using Ignition for the SCADA, not adding it to another SCADA software.

EDIT: Also, we partner with a company Plow Technologies and use their OnPing service for some customers and it does excellent cloud based monitoring and alarming with their hardware but there is a price per tag to be monitored. They're local, professional, and will customize solutions (like ODEQ reporting) but just their alarming capabilities are really good.

Last edited: