Help!!!

David_Emmerich

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone in the Portsmouth, NH area that can help me with a programming problem on an AB system... My laptop just died on a job here, and I Really would like to be able to go back home todayo_O

I am running rslogix on a virtual xp machine over windoze 7...with the data on an external drive that decided to go to lunch when I turned it on today...FRIDAYS...

II HATE AB...o_Oo_Oo_O

At times, yes. Most other times I just strongly dislike them.

Sigh, I know I'm getting old, but I remember PLCs that wouldn't shut themselves down because of a divide by 0 error, indexing outside of bounds (guess what happened to me today? - one clue, things got quiet), faulting out because a file that didn't exist got called.

And to make it worse, the lads threw a mixture of GE Series Sixes and 90-70 in the dumpster today. The only thing wrong with them was that they didn't fit into our Common Controls scheme of things.

In other news, if you live near a certain plant in Middle Tennessee, and you want to score a handful of PLCs, slightly used and with any luck not crushed by whatever else got dumped out on top of them (ISO safety audit coming up next week - lord knows what we threw away), maybe you could talk your better half into a picnic near whatever landfill we use. :)

I'm sure it wasn't AB's fault, I just dislike them in general for how diffecult they make it on us Field service personnel...a bag of cables and adapters and all the rigmarole you have go thru just to get on line with their systems, and oh, no backwards compatibility with newer OS's...and I have lost a weeks worth of code writing that I now have to generate in an afternoon...Give me AUTOMATIONDIRECT ANY day, one cable to carry,works with almost any OS, and online in a few seconds...JMO...:site:

Just look at this Forum...I'll bet that 65% or more of the posts here are about problems working with AB systems/programming issues/connectivity problems...IF I have anything to do with system selection on our equipment, this will be the LAST AB PLC that we will ever use...and since I am the senior electrical designer for my company, it is the last one.

David,

May i suggest that you look around the area to see what plc reps are in the area.

In the states, AB is number one, most students are taught AB,
and that's the way AB wants it.

I'm sure others will disagree, but i have not been able to find another plc rep in my area with a lot of stock, experience, and tech support.

West Tn had (2) reps for the same plc manufacturer in the late 80's, back to back. they did a great job selling their plc's. sold tons of them. when there was a problem, the end users called and got no support. come to find out they packed up, took the money, and ran. both of them.

i know of one company i did a lot of business with that asked who is in the area and how long had they been there. AB was the answer, the location i will not say.

the decision was made right then on a corporate level to go with AB.

since that time, i know of siemens, cuttler hammer, omron, mitsubishi, telemechanique in the area. no stock, no experience, no local tech support.

just my experience.

regards,
james