Siemens S5 digital output card - Load?

Dinnerout

Hi,
I currently have a panel housing an S5 PLC, one card in particular is a 6ES5-451-7LA11 which is a 24vdc, 32DO module. This card is driving 32 24vdc interposing relays (KM VS 2 DIL) which piggyback and switch a 110vac KM contactor.
We have had a few failures of the interposing relays over time and as these are now obsolete we are fitting the replacement which is a KM ETS4 VS 3 DIL din rail mounting relay which are currently hanging down as there is nowhere to fit them in the panel and as you can imagine is looking a bit of a mess!
Still with me?..............
My question is this....Klockner Moeller's new X-start contactors have low load electronics built in with suppressor to enable direct drive from an PLC Output card, they pull 12W when energising so 12W/24v = 0.5A and as the output card has a maximum 0.5A load this will put it on its' limit!
Has anyone used these contactors directly driven from a PLC output or any suggestions to get around the problem

Thanks,
Tom.

Hi & welcome.

I'm not familiar with Klockner Moeller's new X-start contactors, but I'm sure they are good being KM. However, I do know the output cards and regardless of the total current rating being close to the DO cards rating or not, I never switch output devices directly. I've seen these outputs damaged by transient & shorts, regardless of the load. If switchgear manufacturers are trying to design low load supressed starter circuits, thats fine. But let someone else test them.

We use OMRON G2RV-SL700 24VDC SPDT base with OMRON G2RV-1-S 21VDC relays(see attached) on all our PLC outputs. They are the width of a standard terminal and depth of a triple decker terminal. They have an led on the front so you know when relay is energised, i.e. output is on. There's a quick release for the tiny relay at the front for quick change out if need be. The small footprint is ideal for many outputs in a row on din-rail and you can wire your field cabling straight to them. Get the screw terminal ones, not push-in, I hate push-in! They're good for 6A and 5million operations. Some nice add-on features as well. We haven't had any go yet in about 2 years.

Maybe something like this would suit your needs?

I was looking for a manual for the DO card but I think the rating is for each point. I think it is 1/2 amp per point and something like 4 amps per card, total.