Allen Bradley .mer file editing and download

Andy S

Hi Everyone, a quick question for you Allen Bradley Guys out there.

I've recently uploaded a .mer file from a Panel View Plus 400 HMI with a view to updating some of the pages on the HMI and then downloading it back to the HMI. The trouble is RS View Studio Machine Edition doesn't appear to be able to edit this file type.

Any ideas or advice would be welcome.

Depending on what version it was created in, FT ME 4.0 and below you will need the .apa file. Versions FT ME 5.0 and above and the allow future conversion box was left selected you can upload and restore the .mer for editing.

HTH

Thanks Bob, we've got RS View Machine Edition. Has Factory Talk now replaced this? Also you mention that it depends on the version of FT that was used, is there anyway of telling this from an upload or is it just a case of it will either convert or not?

Thanks Bob, we've got RS View Machine Edition. Has Factory Talk now replaced this? Also you mention that it depends on the version of FT that was used, is there anyway of telling this from an upload or is it just a case of it will either convert or not?

Assuming the project was also originally built with RSView, you're not going to be able to recover this file for development. Yes RSView was replaced/renamed with/to FactoryTalkView.

The .mer file can be simlilar to a compiled version of code. When these screens first came out this was done to limit the amount of memory required on the screens. In the newer versions (hardware and software) you can upload an editable version of the screens. This is one of my biggest frustrations of these screens as most companies do not do proper version control so it can be difficult to get the latest version of the screens. That is why I like the Red Lion screens. Just extract anytime you want.