ML1400 as a modbus tcp slave?

cuffers65240

Can a ML 1400 be a modbus tcp slave? I have these little HMI's that support modbus tcp as both slaves and masters and would like to connect four of them as masters to control the plc from 4 operator stations. I tried them as just plain old Ethernet ip but they seem to crash their messages and only one screen ends up communicating with the plc while the others show comm errors. Anyway, I have read that multiple masters can exist on a modbus tcp network and think this may be the cure.

To my knowlege you cannot do modbus ethernet of any kind to any AB product without either a gateway or a prosoft type card.

This is actually something of a sore subject for me.

The ML1400 series B supports modbus tcp over channel one but I can't see where you can configure it as a slave. Does anyone know if it is possible?

this is on the ser b. and a channel 0 and 2 1 is for e net
8.3 supports it looks like you just go to channel config and select modbus slave if this what you mean?

Last edited:
From the offline help file. Note the terms "Client"& "Server"

Modbus TCP Enable
Select this box to enable both the Modbus client and server protocols on the channel 1 Ethernet port. You must cycle power to the MicroLogix 1400 controller for this setting to take effect. An asterisk (*) next to this field indicates that power needs to be cycled.