TXT instead of EMAIL alert from E900 HMI

a11anjones

Hello, I have managed to set an E900 HMI up to email my home computer with any alarm that comes up, which works very well. The only problem we have is that not every engineer has internet at home. We are wanting to find a way of texting the work ON CALL mobile from the HMI with the same alerts. Does anyone know of any system or function that is available to do this. Many thanks to all readers, cheers.(y)

Last edited:
How frequently? You may need to setup some sort of account; the google search below should give you some ideas:

http://www.google.com/search?q=email+to+text+uk&rls=p

I cannot go further than that, all these sites are blocked by our "Websence" program on the proxy :(

Found one I could actually access. £37 for 1000 text credits

http://www.clickatell.co.uk/application_development/smtp_api.php

How to connect via SMTP:
  • Sign up for an SMTP account and you will be given a username, password and api_id: keep these at hand.
  • Once you have registered and been activated you will receive 10 free credits with which to test our service.
  • Have the number you wish to send to ready in international format e.g. 448311234567.
  • Open your Email client (e.g. Microsoft Outlook). Create a new email in text (not html) format. In the address field type: [email protected]
  • Type your account and message details in the body of the email, laid out as follows
    user:xxxxx
    password:xxxxx
    api_id:xxxxx
    to: 448311234567
    text:Meet+me+at+home
  • The text of your message must be formatted so that '+' signs replace spaces between words as above.
  • Press send and your message will be delivered.

Last edited:
How frequently? You may need to setup some sort of account; the google search below should give you some ideas:

http://www.google.com/search?q=email+to+text+uk&rls=p

I cannot go further than that, all these sites are blocked by our "Websence" program on the proxy :(

Found one I could actually access. £37 for 1000 text credits

http://www.clickatell.co.uk/application_development/smtp_api.php

How to connect via SMTP:
  • Sign up for an SMTP account and you will be given a username, password and api_id: keep these at hand.
  • Once you have registered and been activated you will receive 10 free credits with which to test our service.
  • Have the number you wish to send to ready in international format e.g. 448311234567.
  • Open your Email client (e.g. Microsoft Outlook). Create a new email in text (not html) format. In the address field type: [email protected]
  • Type your account and message details in the body of the email, laid out as follows
    user:xxxxx
    password:xxxxx
    api_id:xxxxx
    to: 448311234567
    text:Meet+me+at+home
  • The text of your message must be formatted so that '+' signs replace spaces between words as above.
  • Press send and your message will be delivered.
Thats sounds brilliant, I will look into this system. I dont suppose you know of any thing that is free to use as this one requires £37 for 1000 texts. I agree this is cheap but I dont think my boss would go with something that needs payment like this. Thanks again for that info, great cheers.(y)

I would be wary of a free to use one anyway; what is it worth to your downtime by getting a text to someone? If there is a free service, what gauarantees would there be that they would even send it?

One thing to look at is are all the mobiles in your company on the same network? Could be worth asking your mobile "service provider" if the offer a mail to text service. I am sure t-mobile used to do it.

Update:

http://www.notepage.net/smtp.htm

Although I could not get the t-mobile UK to work, just got bounced undeliverable messages.

You could take the email from the plc/hmi and send it to an outlook account if your buisness uses outlook 2007.

Outlook 2007 can send emails as text to cell numbers

I setup ours so that each application has its own account and then forward to particular groups and in a group i may have the on call phone,and the process engineer for that line.

Just setup a rule to forward emails from the hmi to the group you want and if you set the rules up right you can send some alarms to some people and major alarms to a larger group of people i.e. plant manager,production manager,maintenance manager and it is free if you already use outlook exchange server.

if the hmi happens to run on a panel pc like a versaview you can install outlook there if the company is not on 2007 yet.

Look at number 8 here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA101650261033.aspx

You could take the email from the plc/hmi and send it to an outlook account if your buisness uses outlook 2007.

Outlook 2007 can send emails as text to cell numbers

I setup ours so that each application has its own account and then forward to particular groups and in a group i may have the on call phone,and the process engineer for that line.

Just setup a rule to forward emails from the hmi to the group you want and if you set the rules up right you can send some alarms to some people and major alarms to a larger group of people i.e. plant manager,production manager,maintenance manager and it is free if you already use outlook exchange server.

if the hmi happens to run on a panel pc like a versaview you can install outlook there if the company is not on 2007 yet.

Look at number 8 here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA101650261033.aspx

The application may be free, but the account is not:

http://messaging.office.microsoft.com/HostingProviders.aspx?lc=[L=clid]

Don't know about over there but in Oz there is NO garantee as to when the text message will actually be sent. Typically they are sent immediately but I have had cases where the message was delayed for several hours.

That was my concern over using one of the "free" services.
Pointless excercise if the text message is delayed for an hour at £700/hr downtime costs!

You do not need an accout. Here is an example i use verizon for personal cell service my cell number is 770-xxx-xxxx.

to send me a text you would write the text and send it to this number that is sms. Now email to sms email is like this write your email (alarm message) and then you proceed to send it to [email protected] and it will come to my phone this uses outlook exchange server running in your plant for email services if that is what you have. You can use any mail server using this method.

I do it everyday and i have no monthly account you just have to know the email path for that cell numbers service which others have alredy provided links to. Make a spreadsheet with numbers you need to message to and have them list the provider when they give you their number.

Found another list here

http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-to-sms/gateway-list/

BUT I still cannot get the t-mobile UK one to work. This is the reply from their server:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
Subject:
Sent: 03/06/2009 22:23
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
[email protected] on 03/06/2009 22:26
The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.
< sun-mta.t-mobile.co.uk #5.1.1 SMTP; 550 Unknown local part 0xxxxxxxxx in [email protected]>

So I hope your phones are not on tmobile!

(Yes I did put the correct number, 0xxxxxxxxx has replaced my mobile number:) )

Found another list here

http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-to-sms/gateway-list/

BUT I still cannot get the t-mobile UK one to work. This is the reply from their server:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
Subject:
Sent: 03/06/2009 22:23
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
[email protected] on 03/06/2009 22:26
The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.
< sun-mta.t-mobile.co.uk #5.1.1 SMTP; 550 Unknown local part 0xxxxxxxxx in [email protected]>

So I hope your phones are not on tmobile!

(Yes I did put the correct number, 0xxxxxxxxx has replaced my mobile number:) )

Thanks for that info it has enabled me to get as far as to recieve this response from the internet filter.
I think this means my message has got so far. I will check the phone tommorow.

The original message was received at Wed, 3 Jun 2009 23:52:13 +0100 (BST)
from mk-filter-1-a-1.mail.uk.tiscali.com [212.74.100.52]
----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<0**********@t-mobile.uk.net>
(reason: 550 Unknown local part 0********** in <0**********@t-mobile.uk.net>)
----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to grouse3.t-mobile.co.uk.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 Unknown local part 0********** in <0**********@t-mobile.uk.net>
550 5.1.1 <0**********@t-mobile.uk.net>... User unknown
<<< 503 Valid RCPT TO <recipient> must precede DATA
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.339 / Virus Database: 270.12.52/2152 - Release Date: 06/03/09 05:53:00

I would say that it didnt work, the important bit in there is:

550 Unknown local part 0********** in <0**********@t-mobile.uk.net>
550 5.1.1 <0**********@t-mobile.uk.net>... User unknown

Basically what this means is t-mobile.uk.net is a valid email "domain", but the server does not recognise the "user" (ie your mobile number)so is not doing anything with it!

Same as mine!

What network are you on?