VersaMax Micro PLC connection issues

MikeVT

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm having problems connecting with a GE VersaMax Micro PLC. I'm using VersaPro software, com port, to SNP (15-pin) connector on PLC. Connecting cable has LED's on it to 'see' communication. I don't even get a hint of a flicker from these LED's. Cable/computer/com port verified in working order on an LM-90/30 & LM90 software. Any hints or gotcha's you can help me with would be much appreciated. I'm starting to think the SNP port on the PLC might have failed. I was online with this PLC about 2 years ago, with the same computer/cable/software package.

What RS232/RS485 converter are you using. I ran into a problem once where the VersaMax Micro could supply enough power to drive the converter. I was using an older HE693SNP232 converter. When I connected using a newer HE693SNP232A converter, I could communicate.

The port on the PLC supplies power for the converter on pins 5 (+5 VDC) and 7 (Gnd).

I'm using an Applied Systems Engineering cable assembly. It is labeled with: Part no AS693232SNP - SNP to PC.

I'm using an Applied Systems Engineering cable assembly. It is labeled with: Part no AS693232SNP - SNP to PC.
I can not answer the question but I have been using and supplying this cable for more than 5 years for use with 100's of SNP ports and have never had it pop a fuse, yet. 👨🏻‍🏫

The most "likely" cause is a software program or service running on this 'puter that is using the Serial port. Look for something that begins with "RS", stop that process and try again.

Update to this VersaMax problem

It turns out Steve Bailey was in the right area. I tested the SNP port for 5VDC between pin 5 and pin 7... Nothing! No 5V to power the converter in this cable assy.

Bummer, I sent Paul the pin-outs and part numbers for alternate cables. On this PLC you can use the RS-232 RJ-45 connection on the left or a "cheater cable" on the 15pin RS-485 port on the right instead of replacing the unit.

Hopefully it is the fuse and not a bad port due to the moisture.

Last edited: