Guys,

I received a PM by "pars" today stating the next:
send the mpi cable plc s7 circuit

hi
thankyou
i need circuit mpi cable plc s7
javad massomi
[email protected]

First of all, Javad Massomi, I don't know what you're thanking me for. This is the first time ever you've contacted me or vice versa.

Secondly, if you would have read the various posts about the circuitry or schematics for the MPI cable from Siemens, you would have noticed I've stated that this is one of the best kept secrets at Siemens. And since I don't work for Siemens (other than the occational training I've been asked to give) I don't know that secret either.

And finally, to everyone who don't believe me or want to give it another try: NO I DON'T KNOW THE SECRETS BEHIND THE MPI CABLE. If you want to get to know it, post your question on the forum, maybe someone comes around who does know. Don't send me a PM regarding this, you're chances of finding the guru with the knowledge only gets minimized. And yes, I too would like to know the secrets from Siemens. But I'm a realist, I know they have to earn money with this business, so I know I'll have to wait till I get a beard a mile long ;) .

PS If that guru is already here, don't hesitate to answer PLEASE!

PS2 Phill, that "Quick Edit" thingy is a real beautty! Now we can correct our spelling errors.

Kind regards,

Jean Pierre,

There is no secret to a Siemens MPI cable if pars would like to go to Siemens support web site and type in 10420976 in the search box it will take him to a document that shows him the pin-outs on a MPI cable.

Now, if he meant PC/PPI cable for the 200's, well that's a different story.

jvdcande said:
PS2 Phill, that "Quick Edit" thingy is a real beautty! Now we can correct our spelling errors.

'Phill' and 'beautty', oh dear you missed these ones :D

Paul

Paul,

I know where to find the pinout of an MPI connection (BTW for PPI it's pretty much the same, at least for the A, B and GND signals, which are the ones that count).

I had the distinct impression that pars was looking for the inside circuitry of the MPI converter, which is indeed a well kept secret at Siemens.

Regarding the possibility to correct, well I have to admit English isn't my native language and I didn't check my complete post. Sorry guys, I'll do my best in the future. After all: the content is more important than the wrapping ;) .

Kind regards,

hzmurat

That an interesting link you posted there, it seems that you did not read it, as in it it states "using a PC/PPI cable provided by Siemens"

So that link you posted is as much use as a paper bag in a thunder storm. (I was going to say something rude, but I changed my mind)

Paul

We're having quite the storm right now here in NJ, so I gave your 'paper bag' idea a try, Paul.

Yup, you were right, I am now soaked... :(

beerchug

-Eric

Your are just talking.
There is nothing useful in your words.

if you wonder smt about PC/PPI cable take a look.
Check this link..
http://www.radiolinx.com/docs/37.RL...00.OO.01.EN.pdf
I've checked this link and I wonder what the use of YOUR words is :unsure:

As I stated before: I know about the pins of both PPI and MPI, but I dare you to show me anything about the inside of those converters. I'm pretty sure you can't. If you can, please publish. Me and a lot of other guys (I guess) would be very gratefull.

pc/ppi cable for s7-200

It's a rs232 to rs485 converter ... inside the box of the cable there is 2 max222 , 1 sn75176 (rs 485) and some voltage converting schemes. I think it can be build with a few transistors and external supply

bai`Gencho said:
Quite a stuped cable to be sold for 150 euro
Yeah, sure.
First of all, this thread is started almost 2 years agoo, so it's pretty outdated, wouldn't you think?
Secondly, the original question was about the PC/MPI converter and not about the PC/PPI one. The PPI converter is indeed a fairly simple data-driven RS232-RS485 converter. Taking into account that most such converters are controlled by the control lines of RS232, you'll find a compatible converter relatively easily. When you say
I think it can be build with a few transistors and external supply
then my answer is: maybe. But I would stick to a MAXIM circuit. It gives you far less trouble getting everything in working order and it wouldn't surprise me if it would even be cheaper than building everything with discrete components.
When it comes to the MPI converter, well that's a completely different story. This is not simply an RS232-RS485 converter, but this device is also a speed converter and a protocol converter. It's this converter of which I stated
if you would have read the various posts about the circuitry or schematics for the MPI cable from Siemens, you would have noticed I've stated that this is one of the best kept secrets at Siemens.

Regards,

max3162 is a good one :)
There are 2 ic in the cable - a multiplexer and a counter with internal oscilator. The multiplexer is connected to dip switches that define the baud rate 2.4 to 115 Kbit/s. Perhaps they modulate the signal from rs232, but I have no time to "reverse engineering" the scheme ... it's not so complicated. The other ic's are some max232 and optrons.