AB SLC 5/03 Programming Trouble

Hipoguy

Hello PLC Community.
I am new to using Allen Bradley PLC's and so far am not enjoying my experience. I currently am running RS Logix 500 Ver 4.00.00 along with RS Linx classic. I am trying to configure communications between an Allen Bradley SL 5/03 Processor and my computer through an Allen bradley RS-232 Cable. I have viwed almost all the tutorials available from PLCS.NET and still am unable to download my program to the PLC. I am reciveing an error everytime I try. The Error Reads " No Response From Selected Path/Node". Please anyone that may have any ideas or information on how to make this work let me know. Thank you to any and all who respond in advance. o_O

The thing I see is you are using a very old version of RSLogix and probably an old version of Linx, what kind of computer are you using?

There may be issues if the OS is above Win9x and does not have a real serial port. Older versions may install on XP but they may not work properly.

Did you configure Linx to use DF1 and match it to the port being used?

Please provide details.

I have gone through the steps as directed by multiple tutorials available to make sure the ports are matched. I am running on a Systemax computer running windows XP. The version of RS Linx I am running is RS Linx Classic which has been recently obtained. In addition to the previous problem when i go into RS Logix and select System Comms > select my created link>Click OK I recieve another error " The Target Node Is Not An SLC-500 or Micrologix controller" Yet in my communications link i do not have it selected as either of these? I completely puzzled due to my unfamiliarity with AB products. I have been an AD user most of my career.

Are you able to see your SLC with RSLinx. ( if not see PDF below for how to)
It would help to post your RSlogix file if you can ( zip it and post)
Allen Bradley makes lots of different cables, which one are you using? ( it should be a null modem cable for your serial port)

Last edited:
Yes here is a copy of my RS Logix Program. I think i am able to see the PLC through RS Linx But the status keeps indicating that it is FAULTED. Im not sure what this means to me.

This tutorial is the exact one i used to configure my RS Linx Software. I followed it to the T. Could I be having massive problems due to my running of Windows XP?????

FIXED!!! Thank you very much Ron your help is more than appreciated. The problem is solved. I had my driver set to PIC instead of DF1. Thank you to all the other members who helped as well. :D

sometimes it’s better to talk than type ... just to “close the loop” here are the steps on the path to success ...

(1) use DF1 driver’s Autoconfigure button to get RSLinx talking to SLC-5/03 ... successful ...

(2) note that we can’t go online with the processor - no program currently installed ...

(3) open offline program file ... note that Driver is set for PIC - not for DF1 ...

(4) go to Controller Properties - Controller Communications tab ... set Driver to DF1 ... confirm Node setting for 1 ...

(5) download program to processor ... successful ... do NOT apply changes to “Channel communications” error warning ... (we do NOT want to change the processor back to the PIC driver setting) ...

(6) go online ... successful ...

(7) try to run processor ... immediate fault ...

(8) read fault message ... module in slot 9 is missing from chassis ... this module is no longer needed for intended application ...

(9) go to Processor Status - IO tab ... enter a 0 on “Slot I/O Enables” chart for module in slot 9 ...

(10) put processor in Run mode ... successful ...

(11) save program with new Driver, etc. settings in place ...

(12) make plans to correct the program to remove references to that slot 9 module ... experiment with “Read I/O” feature under “IO Configuration” ...

like I said, sometimes it’s better to talk than to type ... and Allen-Bradley should always be “fun” ...