control system design????

eastkodakguy

hey guys long time no see. Well I am through with kodak and now a road warrior with goldco industries. I have become interested in designing my own control systems. I know how to get a list of I/O the program the machine to do what I want it to do. I want to learn how to draw the electrical prints using autocad. I was wondering about load calculations and wire specs. Does the software program do this for you or do you have to spell it out? I guess I am interested more into the engineering details.
My boss offered to put autocad 2000 on my laptop for redlining drawings. Are there any good books out there for load calculations, wire specs, drawing electrical prints using autocad. This is probably pretty indepth stuff but sounds like fun to me. I just want to start small say a box filling operation like the one in logixpro. Draw the prints and write the code. All of this will be for fun but you never know when i could use it someday
thanks for the great forum
I am getting were i can not only talk the talk but walk the walk

Doing the full Monty!

Congrats on your promotion, I suppose! It is always good to find a way to stretch beyond where you are or have been.
I want to learn how to draw the electrical prints using autocad. I was wondering about load calculations and wire specs.

Drawing with AutoCad or any cad package takes time and practice to master. It is not very difficult to get proficient with the basic functions and that is really all you need to do most electrical drawings. I did it the hard way, just sitting in front of the computer and figuring out what stuff did. I never got extremely good at cad drawing but good enough for my employer. As to specs for wire and such, you have to follow the NEC (National Electrical Code) in this country to be safe and within the law. For most machine control applications though there are very few "code" requirements so that should be no problem either. There are bound to be software packages today that will do load calcs for heavy stuff like motors and heaters but I am not familiar with any. If you have some specific questions about AutoCad or the like, I will be happy to try and assist you.

Congrats from me as well on the promotion!... Time to change your avitar I think... ;)

As Randy stated, time and practice is the only way to get proficient at AutoCAD. By the way, you don't need the full-blown version of AutoCAD for schematic drawings (unless to want to do some cool 3D rendering of your circuits!). Everything I've ever needed is in AutoCAD's 'LT' package. It's a LOT cheaper... :cool:

There are some stand-alone schematic drawing programs, but most are simply add-ons to AutoCAD. These automate the process, but you don't HAVE to use them. They just make it quicker to produce a finished drawing, BOM, etc...

As far as load calculations, etc. goes, get yourself a copy of the NEC like Randy said.

Another great reference is NFPA 79 "Electrical Standards for Industrial Machinery". This deals more with the 'stuff' you use on a regular basis.

beerchug

-Eric

A lot of supplier's catalogs have technical reference material in them that is very useful. Get your hands on as many of them as you can - send in the "bingo" cards from the back of trade publications, for example.

I agree that full blown AutoCad is overkill. The light version is fine for schematics.

Symbols

I use AutoCAD LT and I have software called "Autodesk, Symbols 2000". It has over 12,000 architectural, mechanical, electrical, and electronic symbols. It has saved me lots of time.

There is a small program called Select-A-Fuse that is from Fusetech
that will do all motor load calculations & fuse sizes plus control transformer sizes for you. It works very well and is free.If you call your supplier I am sure they will give you a copy. If not E-mail me and I will send you a copy.

thanks you all for the replies
Wayne's suggestions for fusetech software sounds good I will try to find a copy of the software and also a nec code book for reference
I will get with my boss and get the autocad software he offered me along with the modules i would need.
bye
Dallas :)

I would also throw out on the table Via development software, very nice add-on for AutoCad (I love the suite pkg I use)

Automation Direct has a good Via package called "ViaDirect UltraLITE" for $500.00 U.S.

Has - "Smart" control symbol library, panel Layout and can do the BOM

Well worth the money.