Congratulation!

Mehdi

ABB is ranked number one worldwide in Process Instrumentation and Controls

2006-01-25 - The industry's Top 50 suppliers by Control Magazine

Control Magazine has in the December 2005 issue published its "Top 50" suppliers ranking in processautomation and we can proudly present that ABB has kept the position as number one worldwide.

Control Magazine bases its results upon previous budget year. The poll also shows that the global trend for most companies in process automation is positive.

Read the article in Control Magazine here

abb2.JPG
Why you are still talking about SIEMENS!

Now dem's fightin' words :)

And besides, this data is old -

Continuing gains by most of CONTROL's Top 50 Process and Instrumentaiton Controls Suppliers in 2004 are creating a buyer's market that can't miss for end users in North America and worldwide.

Not 2005. I do see your point - but it makes me question the veracity of the poll - with the size of this group, how is it that ABB gets no air time?

If this is a poll of the entire controls line-up, then PLCs may not be ABB's top seller. If you went to a drives forum, their might be more traffic.

Or they might be selling fewer, horrifically overpriced units...

TM

Mehdi said:

1, by that chart Siemens is number 2 world wide.
2, I use Siemens, I don't use ABB
3, I know of plenty of local factories who use Siemens (or TI) but I don't know any who use ABB.
4, edited to add, it seems that PLC installations were not counted.

Last edited:
Dear Friends,

I'm not a share holder of ABB. I'm just an engineer who has experienced both ABB and Siemens (S7-400H) in Oil & Gas and water treatment plants respectively. Believe me that ABB controllers (AC800F) are more powerful than Siemens. They also have the most user friendly environment for programming (Control Builder F versus weak Simatic.

Siemens just have more advertisement than ABB. In my opinion, once you go ABB, never be back!

Mark Buskell said:
What is a "ABB"

I guess the first part stands for Allen-Bradley but what about the last "B"

Like the joke (hope it was!!!)
Asea Brown Boveri - I think that's how it's spelt.
And they're probably huge because Asea were pretty big in their day, as were Brown Boveri.

I think you'll find ABB is one of those companies like GE that own about 2000 not-so-big companies, who actually make the stuff, so they're basically a bank. I've used some ABB molded case breakers, and it seemed like pretty solid kit. I've never come across any ABB programmable controllers. How powerful a controller is doesn't mean much unless the price is written next to it.

As far as I know (and I read ABB review from time to time) ABB is especially huge when it comes to huge drives, and I mean really huge: multi kW and MW ranges. Siemens is big when it comes to somewhat smaller PLCs (than those drives). The same is true for other brands we're talking about on this forum, such as AB, Omron, Automation Direct and many,many others. Now if you compare 1 ABB drive of about $100,000 to 50 Siemens PLCs of about $1,000 then financially the drive puts in the more weight, but I bet a lot more people will be talking about their PLC experiences.

Numbers do tend to prove anything you like if choosen carefully. It's a very well know issue e.g. in politics. And don't try to tell me those clowns do tell the truth all the time. I doubt if they do sometimes :ROFLMAO:.

Kind regards,

Mehdi said:
Why not?

Why would I go through the hassle of making a change to a company based on one sentence from some anonymous guy on the internet?

Siemens stuff meets my needs.

Are there more powerful controllers? I guess...

Are there cheaper ones? Yep.

Am I content with what I have? Yep.

I've gone through the trouble to start learning the Siemens stuff and to establish important relationships.

I really couldn't care less who's the supposed "world leader." I care about what my customers and employers want and they seem to pick Allen-Bradley, Siemens, Omron, and AutomationDirect. I think that's a sufficiently broad range of choices.

What does ABB offer that would make it worthwhile for me to change? What do they have that these others don't?

jvdcande, your comments reminded me of a saying we had 35 years ago when I was a Product Development Engineer at Bell Telephone Labs which said "if you torture the data long enough, eventually it will confess!"

Still true, it seems.

Back
Top Bottom