Creating a SCADA system

bdauliya

Supporting Member
Hello everyone,

I have different AB controllers (Around 50) running at different area in Manufacturing plant. I want to create an ethernet network of all controllers and create a scada like system to see the production from the office, but no data logging.

What rockwell software can I use to achieve this ?

Thanks in Advance.

Talk to your AB rep - they will have quite a complete answer for you. Bring your wallet and prepare to be violated.

Or call up Ignition and see if their small or free system will work for you.

Talk to your AB rep - they will have quite a complete answer for you. Bring your wallet and prepare to be violated.

Or call up Ignition and see if their small or free system will work for you.

Their free system is Maker and is for personal (i.e. home) use only.

But certainly, call Inductive, their software plays real nice with AB.

The first order of business will be determining if these 50 PLC devices can all access a common control (Ethernet) network. Do you have older devices that only have Data Highway Plus (DH+) or Data Highway 485 (DH485)? If so we might have to look at adding some device that can connect a DH+ or DH485 to an Ethernet network. So we need to figure this out.

Then, to answer your question, as far as Rockwell software to get you that SCADA type interface, you are probably looking at FactoryTalk View Site Edition (SE).

People will suggest to you their preferred software, like Ignition mentioned above. But since you asked for Rockwell software, that would be SE. But don't lock yourself in to using RA software. There are a lot of really good packages out there.

OG

I would shy from RA if at all possible. If you just want basics and have some VB knowledge I would look at AdvancedHMI, Archie has a real nice package that's free to start. I'm utilizing it for a distributed SCADA system, I think I have found it's limits but it's been more than enough for my needs.

Putting my two cents in for Ignition as well, though I think you'll be paying for a lot of features you won't use. Ignition really is designed to replace Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition software, and since you won't be using the Data Acquisition (storage) and won't be Controlling the system from it either, that just leaves the Supervisory aspect. I don't know about your area, but Ignitions price for a server with Vision (not Perspective, the mobile-oriented package) is the same or less than a current PanelView. Assuming you can even get them anymore.

If all you want to do is view from your office then ignition really is your best option. You can utilize the free, demo version that allows you to run for two hours then reset as many times as you want. Then if you decide to use for production purposes you can purchase licenses.

Do they all need to be networked and show the same information, or does each machine (PLC) have its own HMI?

What functionality are you needing Central? Trending, Control, Alarms. How are you going to ESTOP these machines? if controlled from a Remote?

Far more that "Just buying" some Software.....

Ignition is great obviously, but VTScada is excellent as well. I know you said no data logging, but I think it just naturally trends all points anyways. Really easy to get communications established, and making graphics is pretty easy as well. Some of the graphics are a little dated looking, but you can make them look pretty slick as well.

You can by a "scaled down" version of Ignition for $5,000.
Basic gateway and all PLC communications drivers.
5 clients ( PC's) Unlimited tags.
No data logging, reporting or alarming.

As you expand your system, you can by additional modules as needed. (data logging, alarms, SQL bridge module ect.

Best of all you can download the software for free. It runs for two hours then you have to restart the software.

There are training videos on the website. (all free).
Watch the training videos before you download the software.

Thank you all for your inputs.

I figured the cheapest way would be to make FT VIEW SE application and run it on a PC which can be accessed by VNC. let me know how you all think about this?

OK, you can read my signature, so I'm biased... I admit it.

IMO, the cheapest is to use Ignition Edge, which has unlimited tags, but a limit of 2 devices, so you would need to use a PLC as a data concentrator.

But really, a full-blown Ignition, if you only want 1 view license (Vision is cheaper than Perspective), isn't that much, especially if you don't need logging, reports, etc.

Also note that whilst the license is for 1 (vision client), in reality, that means you can run two, however one must be local host (where the server is installed), and one remote.

Consider development time as well as the license cost. Rockwell does not have the equivalent of Inductive University. Sure, they have training, $$$$