Is Siemens SCALANCE S615 The Right Tool ?

rtgibson

Hi All,

Quick sanity check - got a PLC addressed as 10.34.62.172 - we don't want to change this address but the factory want to access some data via OPCScout from a computer on the LAN in the address range 192.168.0.x.

Is the Scalence S615 the right tool for doing what I believe is called NAT (Network address translation) - so I can have one side of the S615 addressed as 192.168.0.x and the other side addressed as 10.34.62.x - so then they can point OPCScout towards the 192.168.0.x addresses and with a bit of config traffic will pass backwards and forwards to the PLC like magic ?

Thanks
Russ

Hi All,

Quick sanity check - got a PLC addressed as 10.34.62.172 - we don't want to change this address but the factory want to access some data via OPCScout from a computer on the LAN in the address range 192.168.0.x.

Is the Scalence S615 the right tool for doing what I believe is called NAT (Network address translation) - so I can have one side of the S615 addressed as 192.168.0.x and the other side addressed as 10.34.62.x - so then they can point OPCScout towards the 192.168.0.x addresses and with a bit of config traffic will pass backwards and forwards to the PLC like magic ?

Thanks
Russ

I've used that device in very similar situations quite a few times. Should work fine.

Make sure you look at the firewall settings in addition to the NAT; if they don't agree, you won't succeed.

Hi Ant

Sorry but I failed miserably and didn't get it to work.... I ended up having to leave site and leave it in the hands of their own automation engineers (we were only on site for a couple of days), haven't heard anything since. By comparison we've done 4 or 5 jobs since on AB gear and had their NATR device up and working within minutes....