Is there a way to import FactoryTalk tags into and .rss file?

Jemeu

Today I'm working with a MicroLogix 1400. I don't have the .rss file since we did not program the system.

I was able to get the FactoryTalk file and now I have to make descriptions manually. Is there a way to speed through this process?

By "FactoryTalk file", do you mean for a PanelView Plus HMI?

If so...

I've never imported into the HMI project except for a Logix 5000 system. Even with them, I generally prefer to be online with the PLC (or a test PLC with the same program) so I can use the online tag browser, but it does work to use an offline program file. I've never done that with a 500-class system (SLC/MicroLogix). I'm not even sure the value of that since the 500 series PLCs are all address based instead of tag based. I also don't see how you're going to be able to make good changes to the HMI without knowing what's going on in the PLC. You should be able to upload out of the PLC and at least get the PLC code and data tables. You won't get comments/symbols.

If at all possible, I would push the machine builder to give you the project files.

By "FactoryTalk file", do you mean for a PanelView Plus HMI?

If so...

I've never imported into the HMI project except for a Logix 5000 system. Even with them, I generally prefer to be online with the PLC (or a test PLC with the same program) so I can use the online tag browser, but it does work to use an offline program file. I've never done that with a 500-class system (SLC/MicroLogix). I'm not even sure the value of that since the 500 series PLCs are all address based instead of tag based. I also don't see how you're going to be able to make good changes to the HMI without knowing what's going on in the PLC. You should be able to upload out of the PLC and at least get the PLC code and data tables. You won't get comments/symbols.

If at all possible, I would push the machine builder to give you the project files.

Yup, I was talking about the .mer file. I have that file and restored it and now just doing some reverse engineering was able to figure out some of the controls. That would be the best I'm probably going to get in contact with the machine builder and ask for the project folder.

Ah, ok, I just re-read your original post. Are you wanting to use the data in the MER file to restore the descriptions and such in the RSS file?

You can definitely import/export to/from RSLogix. Go to Tools -> Database -> ASCII Export to export the existing database so you can see the format. Be aware that descriptions are broken up into fields 20 characters long. If your descriptions to be imported are longer than 20 characters, you will have to break them up as well or it will just import the first 20 characters. It's been a long time since I had to import into RSLogix 500, but I used to have a spreadsheet that had a macro to break up the longer descriptions.

In View Studio for ME, go to Tools -> Tag Import and Export Wizard...
Then you pick "Export...", project type, the view studio project and destination file. It'll export the tags to a CSV file. Be aware, though, that it isn't necessary to use tags in View Studio. It's entirely possible to do the entire project without using any tags at all. The PLC connections would be embedded directly into the display objects. Your tag export won't include any of that. Or you could mix the two methods and use tags and direct connections.

If you export the displays to XML files, you can open up the XML files and see the "connection name" fields. That may help you see where stuff from the PLC is used.

Once you have both formats, you should be able to transfer one to the other. If it's big enough, you could probably write a macro to do the conversion automatically. Then you can go back to RSLogix, Tools -> Database -> ASCII Import to import the new descriptions. Of course, I would work with a copy of the RSS file, just to be safe.