ch,ch,ch, Changes.....

I will seek a place with internet services. It will probably be a small country that most US citizens have even heard of and certainly not find on a map.

Current trend with US citizens seems to be Portugal... last I checked it was half a million property purchase to get a visa and flat tax rate (but not on capital gains).

If that's where you end up, let me know I can give you some tips.

Are we guessing now ?
OK, I think it will be in the carribean: Dominica, Antigua, Santa Lucia, sct. Kitts, Grenada ..
If I have to pick one ...Antigua (because they speak english as well as french), the other islands almost only french.

Technically in the U.S. it is illegal to have dual citizenship and when you become a citizen elsewhere your citizenship is automatically renounced. But since the Government wants your tax money, they have an exception policy where they assume the citizen did not intend to renounce their citizenship and keep them as citizens anyway. If you want to avoid U.S. taxes you have to formally renounce your citizenship.

Essentially, the law is ignored because they want your taxes.

I looked into this out of curiosity when many celebrities were announcing they were leaving the U.S.

You've got any source on this? or just hearsay?

Mine disagrees with you.
https://www.usa.gov/become-us-citizen

Another company would destroy Delta Motion. The knowledge would be lost. Bean counters wouldn't/couldn't understand what is important.

First I need to find find John Galt and his like minded friends are. He is hard to find nowadays.

At first your reference made me laugh, then I thought about how many are aware of its significance. Then about how serious this is, so I will share it. It applies more now than ever. It isn't a laughing matter. The world is going down the toilet.
https://youtu.be/zN6JV2GXyvg

That is cos they're all individualists like me and choose for themselves rather than forcing their views on others... so they're scattered all over.

Yes. The US simply does not care if you have another citizenship: as long as you are a citizen of the US, you are supposed to pay US taxes wherever you live. This is all for the native-born.

It is a bit more complicated for the naturalized citizens as they take an oath in court swearing, among other things, to renounce allegiance to any foreign power. It does not men the government will be checking whether you still have your foreign passport or not, but it may become, in case of some problems with law, the grounds for stripping of the US citizenship as received under false premises.

This is exactly what I was describing in my post (although the citizenship comes after a few years on a visa).

Click on the link with the available Golden Visa programs and right at the top is... my guess for Peter's destination.

https://getgoldenvisa.com/golden-visa-countries

There is however a loophole in Portugal for anyone that can prove to have sephardic jewish background... which can easily be bought from a Rabbi if you know one.

Are we guessing now ?
OK, I think it will be in the carribean: Dominica, Antigua, Santa Lucia, sct. Kitts, Grenada ..
If I have to pick one ...Antigua (because they speak english as well as french), the other islands almost only french.

Anguilla speaks English as it's a UK overseas territory. Neighbour's from there, that's how I know.

Last time I was there Florida was like a different country :)

How about Cuba? you can find some cheap housing there right now

Ian.png

Mine disagrees with you.
https://www.usa.gov/become-us-citizen

Five or six years ago, when I first looked up this information most U.S. Government references listed the following:

"Title 8 U.S. Code § 1481 - Loss of nationality by native-born or naturalized citizen; voluntary action; burden of proof; presumptions

(a) A person who is a national of the United States whether by birth or naturalization, shall lose his nationality by voluntarily performing any of the following acts—
(1) obtaining naturalization in a foreign state upon his own application or upon an application filed by a duly authorized agent, after having attained the age of eighteen years;"
Followed by a statement that the U.S. assumed the Citizen did not want to lose citizenship and therefore citizenship was not revoked.

It is logical from the information presented at the time to conclude tax revenue was the motive behind this as the U.S. charges taxes to citizens, even if they live in another country and that money was earned in a country outside the U.S.

Which is were my statement of technically illegal came from.

Since then U.S. Government sources have added "with the intention of relinquishing United States nationality" to Section (a) of Title 8 U.S. Code § 1481. However, some sources still have not added it, while others indicate "as amended".

Keep in mind for naturalized citizens, renouncing your previous citizenship is part of the oath of allegiance taken when they become a citizen.

“I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all
allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom
or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;"

Which can lead to loss of citizenship due to concealment of material fact or willful misrepresentation, if the U.S. chose to enforce it.

My apologies for not updating my research six years later before making a comment on a forum.

However, current sources still indicate that you must formally renounce your U.S. Citizenship and pay a non-refundable fee of $2,350 in order to avoid U.S. taxes.

References

Losing or Renouncing U.S. Citizenship

U.S. Taxes

U.S. Oath of Allegiance

Last edited:
The land of the woke and the home of the broke <--that's hilarious...I'm stealing this. :)
Feel free to spread this around, I am not going to copyright it.
It is just my modification of "go woke, go broke" and it fits the current situation.

Actually, this fits most of the western world right now. Now that I am retired, I have more time to watch YouTube videos. I am following a lot of world events. "Winter is coming"